Need upgrade guidance

-

gtaw

Reaction score
Right now I'm rolling on 13" wheels with 9" drum brakes and a single res master cylinder (It's new, but... why?). Point is the stopping is less than ideal.

My father suggested I upgrade to 14" wheels with 10" drums and a twin res master cylinder, but after looking at the Scarebird upgrade I don't know. The current master cylinder is going to be replaced, regardless.

1) Would 10" brakes make enough difference to justify the swap or should I save my coppers and go to disc?
2) If I were to go with larger drum brakes what would be an idea donor?

Sorry for the basic questions. I've been searching the boards all morning and taking notes, but I figured I'd still ask.

I know there is no budget when it comes to safety, but the fact is if the money isn't there I can't spend it so I need some ideas on how to bring this 170ci-powered maroon hulk to a stop.

As always, thanks for the advice!

Jim

I swear this isn't my first classic ride, but up till recently I've always dealt with F**ds ;) It's going to take me a bit to figure out what interchanges with what 8)

the 10' drums are a big improvement.availabe on v-8 cars from 66 up to 72 that will bolt right on,the scarebird disc setup I havent tried but there are some people on here that have hopefully they will chime in

If you are going to the trouble to upgrade the brakes, discs are much more cost-effective. About the same amount of work, about the same amount of cost (depending on exactly how you do it) and a much better result. See here.

Discs up front do sound nicer. Had to buy a pair of tires for the front today so I may as well put some miles on them while I accumulate the pieces.

It's A LOT less scary with tires that are round :) It's not terribly bad, but it's one of those things I want to take care of ASAP. I've always been a shifter so I just drop it down out of drive.

Thanks for setting me straight guys :)

im

Yeah I read through that thread and it pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I picked up a pair of new tires for the front and it's a lot less scary now :) Round tires work best, eh?

That and I've always been the type of guy who downshifts when slowing down so I have that going for me, too!

Thanks for setting me straight guys :)

Jim

Do you have a source for the wheels and tires? If you don't, I have five (four corners and a spare) original Rallye 14 inchers with BFG T/As mounted on them which I'm replacing with 15 inch wheels and tires on my Dart. I've upgraded to Right Stuff Detailing four wheel disc conversion kit.
If you're interested I can post photos. Not asking an arm and a leg for them, especially if your budget is tight.

I'll have to wait until it gets closer to happening before I could take a stab at them, 340_dart_power. If you still have them I would definitely be interested, but I can't even begin to commit at the moment.

-
Back