Need Voltage Regulator Help, Please

-

JTG

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've installed a voltage regulator (rx346) from Yearone on my 68 Barracuda 340 that is compatible for eletronic ignition. I'll be running the chrome ECU, the alternator is 100 amps. My question is, will the external voltage regulator be able to work in conjunction with this alternator, or will it be too many amps for it to contend with. Need to verify this before running the car to avoid any electrical issues.
Thank you

Hi everyone, I've installed a voltage regulator (rx346) from Yearone on my 68 Barracuda 340 that is compatible for eletronic ignition. I'll be running the chrome ECU, the alternator is 100 amps. My question is, will the external voltage regulator be able to work in conjunction with this alternator, or will it be too many amps for it to contend with. Need to verify this before running the car to avoid any electrical issues.
Thank you

Your factory 42 year old wiring harness was not designed to handle a 100 amp alternator as neither is your ammeter. A wiring upgrade is needed or you might get a wiring fire going.

Also I have no idea what a RX346 regulator is. Pictures and description might help!!!!!! All Mopars had an external regulators in these years.

Hi N.B.D the rx346 is an electronic voltage regulator (61-69) looks exactly like the original one from back then (black rectangular block) the difference being the original was designed for a car with points, this regulator has been improved internally to be more for a car with an electronic ignition setup.

Hi Mr.Hemi, I was looking at those Blue Mopar Performance voltage regulators. They all are listed for Race only, not sure if that would be compatible on a street car.

Let me reiterate again what I said about the 42 year old wiring and the fact it might have had a 50 amp. alternator out of the factory!

Is the new 100 amp unit a square back alternator like the newer 1971 up units? If it's wired in the field side like the origional 1968 unit it will work. If it's the newer "Square Back" you might have to ground one of the field terminals to get it to work.

Hi N.B.D. the alternator came with a wire to ground it, the instructions show one of the field terminals needs to be grounded with this alternator.

-
Back