Need wheels and tires

-

Birddog1

Reaction score
modern charger/challenger wheels and tires on a 68 dart.
Possible?
Thanks

Yes, I overlooked the obvious, Thank you Johnny Dart. But I have been told that PT Cruiser wheels will bolt up to a 68 Dart, not sure about the offset/backspace.

But I have been told that PT Cruiser wheels will bolt up to a 68 Dart, not sure about the offset/backspace.

Again...Wrong bolt pattern, plus the wrong offset. PT Cruisers are front wheel drive cars, with a 5x100 bolt pattern. 68 Dart has a 5x4" bolt pattern.

My dart is 5/4.5. I think charger/challenger wheels are 5/114mm. So I pose the same question will it work. Has anyone done it

Anybody found what wheels will fit 63-71 A bodys. I have a 64 Dart Convertible that I am having tire problems. Rims will not hold tubeless air and 13in tires and tubes are so hard to find. I bought them new but they have been laying somewhere and they are somewhat rotten. Maybe I just need to find a new owner for the car.

My dart is 5/4.5. I think charger/challenger wheels are 5/114mm. So I pose the same question will it work. Has anyone done it

Yes, they have, and yes they worked. I would mock it up first with a spare or something because it's tight.

Mine are 5x4 which I think translates to 5x101 if you use mm. I was wondering if anyone had put PT cruiser or some other 5x100 wheels from an junk car on theirs. Maybe stock 15s from something. My 64 Dart has limited space in the wheel wells.

Yes, you can sometimes jam 5x115 bolt pattern rims on a 5x4.5" (114.3) pattern or 5x100 on a 5x4" pattern. Of course, it's still wrong. It will put additional loads on the studs, may not locate the wheel properly, and can lead to failures. But someone will chime in and say they've done it and haven't died yet, so that means it must be ok. All fun and games 'til someone loses a wheel.

Or, you could just buy the right bolt pattern wheels for you car. There's plenty of them available.

You would end up with a bruce Jenner of a car...just because something belongs on one model doesn't mean it looks good on another

Yes, you can sometimes jam 5x115 bolt pattern rims on a 5x4.5" (114.3) pattern or 5x100 on a 5x4" pattern. Of course, it's still wrong. It will put additional loads on the studs, may not locate the wheel properly, and can lead to failures. But someone will chime in and say they've done it and haven't died yet, so that means it must be ok. All fun and games 'til someone loses a wheel.

Or, you could just buy the right bolt pattern wheels for you car. There's plenty of them available.
A friend tried it and it tried to bend the studs, definitely wrong!

The other thing is, what Challenger/Charger wheels did you want? Because more than likely there's a similar looking aftermarket wheel that would have the right bolt pattern and possibly even better width/backspace specs than the OE ones.

I’ve been doing more research on this subject and I’ve seen the published bolt pattern at 114,114.3, and 115 so I’m going to get a wheel and see if it works. I will report the findings.
Does anyone have any pics of these wheels on a dart

You can buy "variable" lug nuts AKA wobble nuts. I'm not saying it's a good idea. But if your going to do it, use those. They will keep your wheel studs straight and not put a side load on them. A few years ago I put some 5x120mm BMW wheels on a 1973 camaro I had. The camaro bolt pattern converts to 5x120.65mm. It's pretty close and I did bolt them up and test drive for no rubbing and such before ordering wobble nuts.

I’ve been doing more research on this subject and I’ve seen the published bolt pattern at 114,114.3, and 115 so I’m going to get a wheel and see if it works. I will report the findings.
Does anyone have any pics of these wheels on a dart

4.5"= 114.3mm

I've seen them listed as 5x114, that's the same, just laziness in leaving off the .3

The new wheels, the ones on the new challengers and chargers etc., are actually 5x115mm. That's not the same pattern as 5x4.5". People have installed them, but you won't catch me running them on my car. There's plenty of 5x114.3 and 5x4.5" wheels available.

Would you put 4.00 pistons in a 4.125 bore,then use rings for a 4.40 bore and then file the gaps smaller?

Might work for a short period!

Not a good idea.

My Dart has 5 X 4.5s - not stock though!

-
Back