Need your opinion...72 duster..worth it?

-
Are you looking to get rid of your Durango to make room for a classic? If so, I'm looking for one. I'm in PA too.

ok - now I've read through the etire post, and looked at the additional photos, here's my two cents:

1.) Unless you're looking at a 340 car or something that is desirable as it rolled off the assembly line, don;t worry about "original." An original 318 car compared to an original /6 with a 318 transplant will reflect very little difference as far as retail value.
2.) Any classic Mopar in the $5,000 or less range is going to need work. You have to consider whatwork needs to be done vs. what already has been done.
3.) Now that you know to expect a car that needs work, expect that it's not perfect and, most likely, will be somebody elses' incomplete project. so, in reference to the /6 radiator, or black engine bay - it's not really that big of a deal, and you need to take into consideration what needs to be done to finish the project. Now if you went w/ the green one (let's say it WAS local), you'd STILL have to do the quarters, and essentially that same amount of body work, but after that, you'd have the interior to contend with. Add to that the wheels, brakes, exhaust, etc. I think the purple car is a better starting point - and you can drive it and look good now compared to years from now w/ the green car project.

4.)The body work will have to be done, but all-in-all, I'd say that it looks pretty solid. I'd like to see under the trunk mat though.
5.) I doubt the seller is looking to lie or cheat about the K-member, I think it's more likely that he's just misinformed. that's why you do the research(like comming here) so that you are informed and don;t have to rely on what other might tell you.
6.) While I wouldn't say it a DEAL at $4500, I have no problem saying IT IS worth that much (IMO). Now I'm sure you can negotiate - especially in today's environment - and if you can get it closer to $3800, well, that would be even better.
7.)72 Duster is a much better looking front end than the 73 - and I own a 73.

negotiate the price, and go for it.

Indeed, it seems it's hard to get a GREAT car for under 5k...... I got mine for $500 in 2001 and it's far from perfect, but in pretty good shape compared to some cars they want thousands for :D

Are you looking to get rid of your Durango to make room for a classic? If so, I'm looking for one. I'm in PA too.

NO WAY! Love that beast. :cheers: 2003 . Gas mileage is low...but I have the 360, 3.90s open, HD towing package, 4x4 with 4lo transfer case, skid plates, bigger tire/wheel upgrade....Love the truck.

Actually , she sits outside with my wife's daily driver......the garage is reserved for my 92 Dakota....4x4 shortbed ...3.90s, antispin, hd cooling package....Bonzai Blue color.....she got a repaint courtesy of mother Mopar back in 98 or so due to peeling issues....I have had her since 93.....I have had some offers on her....I LOOOOOOOVE that truck...she sees little road use anymore though...saving her for my kid.....maybe.

The other bay is where I keep my motorcycle....my main transportation, rain or shine, hot or cold.

That said, I would love an old A body too! Have wanted one for a decade.....

Funny....20 some years ago these were a dime a dozen.....back then, I almost picked up a 68 Camaro for $5k....not matching,. but SWEEEEEET redo....guy was selling it to buy a pool for his kids.

Nowadays, same car is 3 times that in that shape.....:angry7:

I wouldnt mind an old Camaro or Mustang....but my first love is Motehr Mopar!

I am even thinking about a 67 Barracuda...seems like theyarent as popular but have nice lines.

ok - now I've read through the etire post, and looked at the additional photos, here's my two cents:

1.) Unless you're looking at a 340 car or something that is desirable as it rolled off the assembly line, don;t worry about "original." An original 318 car compared to an original /6 with a 318 transplant will reflect very little difference as far as retail value.
2.) Any classic Mopar in the $5,000 or less range is going to need work. You have to consider whatwork needs to be done vs. what already has been done.
3.) Now that you know to expect a car that needs work, expect that it's not perfect and, most likely, will be somebody elses' incomplete project. so, in reference to the /6 radiator, or black engine bay - it's not really that big of a deal, and you need to take into consideration what needs to be done to finish the project. Now if you went w/ the green one (let's say it WAS local), you'd STILL have to do the quarters, and essentially that same amount of body work, but after that, you'd have the interior to contend with. Add to that the wheels, brakes, exhaust, etc. I think the purple car is a better starting point - and you can drive it and look good now compared to years from now w/ the green car project.

4.)The body work will have to be done, but all-in-all, I'd say that it looks pretty solid. I'd like to see under the trunk mat though.
5.) I doubt the seller is looking to lie or cheat about the K-member, I think it's more likely that he's just misinformed. that's why you do the research(like comming here) so that you are informed and don;t have to rely on what other might tell you.
6.) While I wouldn't say it a DEAL at $4500, I have no problem saying IT IS worth that much (IMO). Now I'm sure you can negotiate - especially in today's environment - and if you can get it closer to $3800, well, that would be even better.
7.)72 Duster is a much better looking front end than the 73 - and I own a 73.

negotiate the price, and go for it.

Thanks....great feedback.

My biggest concern is what is really luring under that pretty purple paint and stickers.

With an original that needs the same work, at least ya know what is there...less chance of something being done sloppily, etc....

That said, I do hear what you are saying as far as what I can get for the price.

I think that I will just wait a bit and see......if I can get out to see it soon I will...if it gets away, no problem.

It sure is pretty in the pics though....LOL :smile: Rims and purple paint can make anything look great! LOL

...... I got mine for $500 in 2001 and it's far from perfect, but in pretty good shape compared to some cars they want thousands for :D

I got the '73 318 3-speed Duster I had around '00-'01 for $300 and other than the paint (mine was primer) it was in a little better shape than that purple one. I miss those days.

Deals are still out there though, this Swinger was for sale at my local mopar show last fall for $2500. It was a solid original car, little to no rust in the 1/4's, nice interior and a good running 318 auto.

100_2596.jpg

What ever car you end up with, inspect it well before you buy, unfortunately the mopar isn't nearly as trustworthy as it used to be.

-
Back