Needed - hood scoop template- 72 scamp

-

DOMINANTmopar

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to add dual hood scoops to my 72 scamp and was wondering if anyone had a template they were done with or would let me borrow.

Did Scamps ever come with hood scoops or just dusters/demons? They have the same hood right?

There is a company in NYC (Gotham Muscle cars) sells the fresh air gaskets that are repops of the original hood seals on both the single piece dual scoop and the two individual scoops on the 70-71 cars. I bought a one piece dual scoop and screwed studs into the bottom, punched them into a cardboard cut out and created my own template. When I finished that, I got some roll flex rubber roofing material and made a gasket for the install. So to sum it up: the cut outs are about 5" in diameter (NOTHING bigger) and require the fresh air rubbers (use them as a template) and the pilot holes or studs on the bottom of the scoop(s) are great for creating a template and when cut out, this template can be placed on the hood for location of holes to be drilled. I hope this helps.

Hi all, I would like to add dual hood scoops to my 72 scamp and was wondering if anyone had a template they were done with or would let me borrow.

Did Scamps ever come with hood scoops or just dusters/demons? They have the same hood right?

There are holes in the bracing along the cnterline of the hood that will line up with the original mounting holes of the OEM scoops. Then you can locate and drill the rest from there.

The single dual-opening scoops only came on '72 Demons, '73 Dart Sports and possibly '74 Dart Sports. No Plymouth ever had that factory scoop option.

There is a long thresd on the scoops along with several other small ones on the subjects if you do a search.

There are holes in the bracing along the cnterline of the hood that will line up with the original mounting holes of the OEM scoops. Then you can locate and drill the rest from there.

The single dual-opening scoops only came on '72 Demons, '73 Dart Sports and possibly '74 Dart Sports. No Plymouth ever had that factory scoop option.

There is a long thresd on the scoops along with several other small ones on the subjects if you do a search.

71 duster twister, 72 duster 340 and twister

If you look under the hood there will be 4 access holes per side that are pre drilled in the inner structure. Find a socket or bushing that fits the holes with a hole in the center. Use this for a guide to center punch the holes up from the bottom. When you finish with these eight , four per side. Close the hood and reverse punch the dimples down and drill them they are 7/16. . set the scoops on in these three holes you drilled. This will enable you to locate and mark the other holes so you can drill them. Having a template isn't going to insure the holes line up with the access holes in the inner frame. The holes for the rubber seals can be located with the indent for them in the frame. 4 inch hole saw will make it about 4 1/8 adding in the wobble.

or go with this

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 815
Some good info here guys. I will have to take a look at my hood tonight and see what I am working with. Maybe I just need to do what oldmanmopar suggested.

Slappy - My other ride has the same scoop you do. I kinda wanna do the duals this time.

There used to be a guy that would loan you templates for air grabber hoods, but I can't seem to find him. I just figured the hood scoop discussions have probably been going on for so long that people just have templates sitting around.

71 duster twister, 72 duster 340 and twister

Sorry, but you must have missed this. Lots of good info here, as well as comments from others who "thought" Dusters could be ordered with the Demon/Dart Sport scoop.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14058&highlight=dart+sport

The Plymouths you mentioned may have had the optional twin seperate scoops, some functional & some not, but the single dual snorkle scoop. Dodge OEM option only. But it has been a very popular add-on that some dealers may have even installed because it looked so good and natural. But you will see that there are no more than 2 part #'s for this scoop. One was for the flatter Demon hood and another for the more "peaky" Dart Sport hood.

Attachments

• 1970-1976-plymouth-duster-4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 378
Nether one is very functional. They both just have two small holes in the hood. Nothing going to the air filter or sealing them to the hood like the B body air grabbers. They look cool though.

I don't have any "data", but theoretically, the single scoop with dual openings is one of the more efficient scoops, similar to the Challenger T/A scoop. The scoop opening is raised above the hood surface which gets it above the less active "boundry layer". Mopar never did design a "ram air" set-up for these A-body scoops but that shouldn't stop anyone from making their own. Cutting out the "diamond" area within the hood bracing is a popular way of getting more clearance and air around the carb. (Of course, it all depends whether or not someone wants to keep their car original, or if class racing rules don't allow it.)

-
Back