Neon Brake Issue

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been working on my wife's '99 Plym Neon. The sliders on the calipers were frozen. It caused excessive wear to the rotor and pads. The car would pull to the left and then the right when you put the brakes on. I replaced calipers, pads, and rotors. I bled the brakes. There is still a slight pull when the brakes are put on. It is nowhere near as bad as it was, but still there a little. Hoses are not bulging and in good shape. What could be causing this?

Fred B

there may still be a restriction in the hoses. if you crack the bleeder on the caliper loose and then squeeze the piston back and it goes back, you know its a bad hose. when i replace calipers i usually do hoses too just because off the small parts cost(usually). but if you crack the bleeders loose and try and press the pistons back and they dont budge. then you know its a bad caliper. in this case we know the calipers are good tho, because you replaced them. i would replace the hoses....

also, im assuming you checked the condition of the spindles(actually the knuckle if im not mistaken on a 99, may be wrong on thatn tho) but if the pads cant slide freely on that spindle, it might cause that issue, they usually have to be pretty bad tho...

i bet it is your hoses. you cannot see the condition of the inside liner of the hoses.my neon was pulling when you first applied the brakes then would straighten out. trust me. would be a wise and inexpensive idea to replace your hose. probably is not letting the caliper release and prematurely wearing out your brake pads. had same problem. could not squeeze the caliper back and replaced the hose. problem solved..
best of luck

-
Back