neutral safety/back up light switch

-

jeffs67dart

Reaction score
I have a 904 in my 67 dart and the previous owner installed a b&m floor shifter (it originally was column shifter) and I want the back up lights to work. I'm pretty new to mopars so I researched and found in 68 or 69 they changed the neutral safety switch on the trans to a neutral safety/back up light switch. my question is can I replace the single pin switch with the 3 pin switch, find the back up light wires in the column switch and run them to the 3 pin switch on the trans and the lights will work, or is the early torqueflites different internally? I can get the switch and correct plug for switch on ebay new.

No - 68 and prior have the single pin NSS and a back up light switch either on the steerning column (column shift cars) or floor shifter. The internal part (rooster comb) that actuates the NSS on the transmission also changed when they changed the switch. You will have to drop the valve body out of the transmission and either modify it with the new style parts or replace it with a newer valve body in order for the 3 pin NSS to work.

Does your aftermarket shifter have any provision for a back up light switch?

You could just run the back up lights to a toggle on the dash or near the shifter if you wanted to do it quick and dirty...

thank you d55dave, that's what I thought. I will try and do something at the shifter to get them to work I guess. I new it wouldn't be that easy. thanks again for your knowledge

-
Back