Neutral safety switch wire?

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can I just run my neutral safety switch wire to ground from the solenoid. I swapped to a manual tranny and won't be using it.

Yes you can ground that terminal at the starter relay. However never start the car unless you are SURE its in neutral or the clutch is in. Hense why manual cars came with clutch safety switches instead of nss..

Yup be careful, I did that with an old motorcycle of mine..... chug, chug, plop right onto its side. not fun..

Mike, can that wire be used to hook up to the neutral switch for a manual? I would imagine that it follows the same principle of being grounded or not depending on in gear or not (P or N).. right?

If it were me I'd hook it up and if the sender goes bad one day just ground it, but it's there for a reason. .02

Can I just run my neutral safety switch wire to ground from the solenoid. I swapped to a manual tranny and won't be using it.

Yes, you can do this and it is basically like the factory manual trans starter relay. The early a-body manual trans starter relay is self grounding while the auto trans relay has the safety switch terminal.

Chuck

Mike, can that wire be used to hook up to the neutral switch for a manual? I would imagine that it follows the same principle of being grounded or not depending on in gear or not (P or N)...right

On later manual trans cars (somewere around '69) the switch is on the clutch pedal and the clutch needs to be pushed in to ground the starter relay.

I myself am not a fan of the clutch pedal safety switch and wish there was another way. With the clutch style switch you have the crank pushed up against the thrust bearing without oil pressure while starting.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know the relays were different.

HAHA. I just did this yesterday myself. I grounded mine to the throttle cable reinforcement plate on the firewall below the bulkhead connector. I did not realize this either when I swapped to a manual.

Good old FABO. Gotta love these guys.

ha i did this before on my 00 stratus. wired the pedal up so that you had to push the pedal in to start it but the thing is when i reved it, it was limitd to 3000 which was werid so i jsut grounded it out completely

Thanks for the tip on the different relays. I just went and got the manual relay.

Oh I'd have a clutch pedal switch . Mount a reverse lamp switch or something.under there But then every safety feature on my riding mower works including the seat switch and how many can say that?
Just the way I am... SAFETY FIRST !
Can I get a amen ? LOL

Oh I'd have a clutch pedal switch . Mount a reverse lamp switch or something.under there But then every safety feature on my riding mower works including the seat switch and how many can say that?
Just the way I am... SAFETY FIRST !
Can I get a amen ? LOL

OH - AMEN, AMEN, AAAAMENNN!!! Safety switches, blade guards, deadman seat switches, door interlocks on radio station transmitters, ALL OF THEM!!!

That's why at my advanced age, I still have all my fingers and toes and only a little scarring on a knuckle from a model airplane propeller when I was about 12 years old.

Of course, if ya _want_ to be called "Stumpy" or something even less flattering, ditch all that junk. Just let me know so I won't be around when you start your car in gear, get surprised, and _really_ mess up!

-
Back