Neutral starting switch

-

tony20110

Reaction score
I have a 66 cuda. I believe it's a 904G transmission. It drove fine all day. Zero problems. When I went to start it an hour later nothing happened. No sound at all. I tried all the gears. It goes into park and into neutral. I am guessing the problem is the neutral starting switch. I know I am suppose to disconnect the wire from the switch and use a test lamp.

The plymouth service manual shows a picture of the switch but no good picture of where it is. Can anyone describe where it is? Does anyone have a picture showing it? I'm pretty new but trying to tackle any problems on my own before calling in my mechanic brother in law to help.

Thanks!

It's mounted on the driver side of the transmission. Only one wire on those old girls

Fastest way to troubleshoot it only requires something metal!!!! Like a screwdriver.

Look at your starter relay, which looks like this..................

$%28KGrHqUOKm4E5BdJF4qtBOS1VypyOw~~48_35.JPG

What we are interested in are the two "push on" quick connect terminals.

Identify which one of these goes down the firewall to the transmission. Remove that wire, and ground that relay terminal. Use a clip lead or screwdriver, and have someone twist the key to "start." BE CAREFUL and make sure the trans is in park as it will crank in any gear.

If you get no starter action, it's time to use a meter or light and see if you have power from the key. If you have no light you can STILL test the relay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove BOTH "push on connectors."

AT THE SAME TIME with one screwdriver, jumper either of the "push on" terminals to GROUND

Then take the second screwdriver/ nail, etc, and jumper the remaining terminal to the big battery stud on the relay.

If it does not crank, take one screwdriver/ nail/ coin/ etc and jumper the two large exposed terminals of the relay. If it cranks now but not in the last test above, you have a bad relay.

If it does not crank in the test above, take a screwdriver and jumper the two terminals on the starter.

It's on the floor. Thanks 67dart. I think I see what you're talking about. I'll try and do this tomorrow.

It's on the floor. Thanks 67dart. I think I see what you're talking about. I'll try and do this tomorrow.

Shifter only has to do with pre 69? 68? reverse switch. All Mopar neutral switches are screwed into the side of the Torqueflite. Newer cars have a combo neutral/ reverse switch in the same location as the old neutral switch............on the trans.

Attachments

• TorqueFlite-02.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 138
-
Back