New 1964 Valiant Owner with Exhaust Leak

-

T0dd

Reaction score
Hi All,
I drove a great 64 home last night with 88k original miles on it. I am the third owner. Ill post pictures later but am hoping someone can point me to a tutorial on how to change the exhaust manifold gasket? I had to drive with the windows down last night just to get some fresh air as the exhaust was overpowering. I have a remflex gasket ordered but do not have a manual yet. Does anyone have an article or post written up that I could follow? I used to wrench on a 64 valiant when I had one at 19, but that was the last car I took a wrench to and that was almost 20yrs ago now. I am just getting back into it. I inspected the manifold and did not see any obvious cracks. any easy way to test the gasket? 2nd owner had never changed it. thanks everyone! -todd

I just did that job myself last Sunday. It's really not that bad, the "hidden" nut and corresponding washer took some patience but the results were worth the effort. I was able to reuse all my stock hardware.

If that doesn't fix it check your trunk seal. I fought an exhaust leek that wasn't there it was my trunk. Replaced the seal and could breathe again. :welcome:

I just did that job myself last Sunday. It's really not that bad, the "hidden" nut and corresponding washer took some patience but the results were worth the effort. I was able to reuse all my stock hardware.
great, thanks for the encouragement! We will see how it goes.

It is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions—even if it means you have to delay the job to get 'em.

It is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions—even if it means you have to delay the job to get 'em.
Thank you Dan. That is the set I ordered and will wait for them. for now I am just replacing hoses and cleaning up the engine bay.

Here is a picture of the car:
20170706_161829.jpg

Oh, hey, that's a sweet one! Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. The engine's probably due for a valve adjustment.

More generally, depending on how new or experienced you are with cars of this vintage, you'll want one to three of the books described in this thread. Take a look at this post, too.

Exhaust isn't the only bad smell that can come from the engine bay; make sure your crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is intact, correctly assembled, and working properly. But whether it's exhaust or crankcase fumes or both you're smelling, the fact you're smelling them means your passenger compartment isn't properly walled off from your engine bay. You'll want to find the loose/crispy/missing seals and grommets that are allowing it. Throttle rod grommet, hood-to-cowl seal, the two cleanout flaps at the top of the firewall—all are suspects. Get hold of a Gary Goers cattledog; see here.

Oh, hey, that's a sweet one!
Dan, thanks so much for the wealth of information. I have a lot to read! I will have more questions I am sure.

yeah the car is nice. 88k original miles. Original owner bought it because she was missing her right arm so the push button transmission was the best solution for left armed driving!

-
Back