New 318 build, just need some input.

-
There has been a bunch of good advice merely mentioned in the previous threads. Brief mentions often get glossed over. First, I want to repeat the great advice already given merely to reinforce the importance.

MOPAROFFICIAL suggested using Magnum heads. Box stock they will out-flow a really well-ported 302 casting. They have the smaller swirl combustion chamber (probably a better design than the 302), and the ports have much better geometry to maintain velocity without hurting flow. In addition to the intake manifold consideration, using Magnum heads on your '69 block will require AMC style lifters and hollow push rods. Virtually every small block Mopar aftermarket cam manufacturer uses AMC style lifters, so that one is easy. Mopar Performance at least used to sell the hollow push rods that would allow flat tappet cams in an older LA block with Magnum heads.

If you really want to stick with the 302s and do your own port work, watch as many YouTube videos as you can to pay attention to the seat and guide areas. I learned the 95-75-55 Rule that states most cylinder heads in stock form are capable of flowing 95% of maximum potential where the manifold bolts on. Gasket matching merely improves the strongest link in the chain. The area around the guide is capable of flowing 75% of maximum potential. Attention here will yield more returns than the same time spent gasket matching. The weak link in the chain will be the seat area -- the 55% zone. Ironically, it is the easiest part of the port to totally screw up. There are usually factory under cuts, poor blending with the rest of the port on one end, and the physical seat on the other. This is where you probably couldn't spend too much time on YouTube learning from those in the know.

I happen to be a big fan of the 302 casting 318 heads, but I'm a fuel economy guy, not a racer (MPGmike). I think they're a but anemic for the cam you chose. I would suggest nothing more radical than the factory '68 340 4-speed cam (which for that year only was a tad more aggressive than the automatic cam -- which became the 340 cam for '69+), or a 268 range Comp Cams or other alternative.

I wish you luck and ask you keep us posted as you move forward.

If the heads get cut for positive seals chances... are they're going to clear to .625 or .700 lift . That's a byproduct of doing that FWIW

337268574_1327316447818536_2441778981196209173_n.jpg
Found a big issue upon disassembly along with other issues so I'm rethinking the whole build. For the money on machining a 318 and parts and yadda yadda I might just pick up a crate motor and call it done lol I think this build was doomed from the start

View attachment 1716068414Found a big issue upon disassembly along with other issues so I'm rethinking the whole build. For the money on machining a 318 and parts and yadda yadda I might just pick up a crate motor and call it done lol I think this build was doomed from the start
If your thinking of a crate 360 or 408, send me a PM, I may be able to help

I think polishing will probably just slow it down a little bit. Gives it the effect of larger. flow more? maybe? How much? 2 cfm ,maybe more.. but probably not more than 10cfm.
It would be worth running those heads if your compression didn't end up really high for pump gas and you did the chamber mods and some mild bowl/short turn porting so that they flow as good as other open chamber heads, even better.
Otherwise why use that camshaft for heads that are designed and flow like truck heads? At the same time those heads were out they also had open chamber versions that went in cars... the trucks got the small chamber, the small chamber didn't allow the intake port to flow as well because it shrouds the valve. The open chamber heads allowed the intake port to flow a little better. what do trucks do? low speed torque. what do cars do? go down the highway in the fast lane light loads etc.
Sorry about the run-on sentence I'm using talk to text cuz I'm really really busy.
If you wanted something quick and easy and not aluminum heads...I would sell the 302s and get a fresh set of Magnum heads...then drill them for an LA intake OR simply use a aftermarket magnum 4 brl intake dual pattern knock off.
If you're going to do any work like polishing and stuff like that where you have to disassemble the head and clean it and all that mess.. you may as well put that work or effort into drilling for an LA bolt pattern on some better magnum heads with the same size chamber. You can then take your empty block and Bolt the heads onto it scribe them to the bores and then play with opening them up evenly to get to the chamber volume you need with those 167 Pistons so that you don't end up with two high compression for pump gas with that little idle to 5500 cam.

You asked.. that's just my opinion... if you don't like it..that's fine ...spare us both and don't bother responding to it in that case.
too busy.
Best of luck.
@wolfhammer listen to @MOPAROFFICIAL he knows his chit. Even has a couple videos on youtube about porting the 302's and flowing them on his flow bench.

Easy button is exactly as he described. Sell your 302's and run a set of magnum heads. Nothing wrong with running the 302's as is, just know you are leaving a lot of performance on the table for just a few bucks more. Magnum ports and chambers are much better for a mild street build without being touched. Also get the benefit of the 1.6 rocker arms.

Of course, you could always just find a good running 5.2, or a 5.2 core to start with.

Is that measured or theoretical lift? Big difference on a 59degree small block mopar.
cam was .494 intake/ .501 exhaust with a 1.5 rocker, but I have 1.6 rockers so..... I say about .530. How much is lost in the geometry, a little i suppose

-
Back