New 512 stroker build cam opinion needed

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I'm in the process of gathering parts for a blown 512 stroker build. 906 heads bigger intake bigger exhaust stainless valves harden seats. I talked to a place in California about a cam recommendation. This is the cam that they recommended. Wanted to see what you guys thought. Mostly street driven.

PXL_20221015_172001584.jpg

That cam is going to make some super high dynamic compression

What does that mean
It means when the intake closes that soon it keeps more of the mixture and makes a bigger bang, but it is only 235 degrees of duration. It's probably right where it's supposed to be.
What's your static compression ratio ? The normal one lol.

IMO,
The dynamic comp ratio formula/calculation is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
It uses the intake closing point as some sort of reference to the air inducted into the cyl. It takes no account on how well the port flows [ obviously some flow better than others ] & therefore there is no way of knowing the weight of air inducted.

IMO,
The dynamic comp ratio formula/calculation is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
It uses the intake closing point as some sort of reference to the air inducted into the cyl. It takes no account on how well the port flows [ obviously some flow better than others ] & therefore there is no way of knowing the weight of air inducted.
Well the same could be said for static compression if you had a cam with too much degrees intake closing you'd be bleeding off a lot of bottom end. The closer your dynamic matches your static the more usable power is available (too a point).. also if it was useless it wouldn't be a necessary data entry on these horsepower estimators, which it is. If you want to play with one put in some different numbers of dynamic cr and see it does make more power or lowers power. Since the op is running boost I imagine dynamic compression is something that should be looked at and I probably the reason for the cam Herbert sold him.

This is what I have in a 9.5-1 493 6-71.
Not running yet. Low boost, street car.

D1E63315-44F0-4103-BC50-07295F965030.png

Last edited:
Well, my first mistake was not talking to the cam manufacturer myself. It was through a second hand person that supposedly knew what was going on and what I was building and trying to do and when I finally called them back they said that that cam should be fine. But if they would have knew ahead of time they would have done a few things a little different. But they said that should be no problem. So let's hope so

-
Back