new 8 3/4 length?

-

ThogtheCaveman

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up an 8 3/4 and I am planning on shortening it because I believe it is an e body rear. My question is should I just get it shortened to stock a body length? I am not going to put any overly large tires so i figure that stock would probably be best. Also i plan on putting disk brakes on all 4, so I don't know if this makes any difference. By the way this is going in a '69 dart. Anyone done this before? Anyone use any other lengths? Thanks

Hi. I got a E body rear in my 73 Duster. It's not narrowed, but
the spring mounts have been moved in to the A body springs.
I run 255/60-15 on the back with 15x8 rims. The back spacing is
4 1/2 inch. If I changed to a 5 in. back space I could possibly
even run a bigger tire. So if you don't want to go the extra cost
of narrowing it. Mock it up an see how it would work for you.
There is a pic in my garage with this setup. See what you think.

Your leafs are in stock position right? You didn't do anything to widen the wheel well did you? If the e body 8 3/4 works for your duster it should work for my '69 dart right? I'm going to have to check this all out right now. Thanks for the help!!!

Thog, Brian can get away with that wider rear because he has a larger opening in the rear wheel well than a dart has. It still may work, but you will be closer in clearance to the outer wheel well than a duster / demon body as the dart wheelwell covers the tire more. Check it out, it may work for you.

I talked to the guy at the shop I bought the 8 3/4 from, he said the same thing about darts having less space. I am just going to have the rear shortened to A body length. Thanks for the input though.

-
Back