New A-body owner from Detroit

-

zig

Reaction score
Hello,
New owner of a 1974 Duster. This is my first "old" car. I have always been a mopar guy, had a built up 1995 Dakota with a 360, 5-speed that was a lot of fun to drive, but just didn't have the look and feel of an older car. I've always like the musclecar era and have been reading hot rod and car craft for years... So I finally sold the old truck and bought a 74 Duster to replace it. It is a great running and driving project car. The price was right too at only $3500 with a solid body. The color isn't the most attractive, but isn't bad in person. It has a 318, auto column shift, with an upgraded interior with new headliner, carpet, seats, radio. My immediate plans are new seats, since the new ones are cheezy racing seats, few odds and ends for the interior and a new fuel regulator. I am not sure about the motor yet. I have a 340 cam that I may swap in for now, go with headers, dual exhaust and cruise... Future mods include 360 or 340 build, floor mounted auto shifter or convert to manual, hemi orange paint, and wheels... I'm sure there will be a few more upgrades here and there...

It should be a fun project and I have been having fun reading all the information so far on the site...

ok, finally threw a few pics up.. they aren't the best, i need to get better ones. I haven't even owned it a week and already planning everything out..
IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

A few of the old truck..
side1.jpg

95dakeng2.jpg

WELCOME TO FABO!!!!

I am from Jackson MI, I have a 72 duster that started off the same color as your duster (Honey dew gold) and I agree it was not my favorite color choice either reminds me of a desert storm vehicle or something LOL....I decided to go plum crazy purple.

I was just actually in warren the other day to pic up some seats for my duster....small world lol.

you will love this website, tons of great folks and great info.

If you ever get bored ,swing over to my duster restoration thread and check it out.

Dusterdude, i think I read some of your thread, I will have to review more.. I actually work in Jackson.. I make the 84 mile trek 5 days a week for the most part since january.. I work at the old walker muffler building, which has dynomax in it... So I will probably go with some dynomax mufflers to support the company...

oh yea and I really like plum crazy.. I might have to check out your car sometime..

wait.....what????? how the heck did I not know dynomax mufflers were made in my own town? LOL.

Im in the vandercook area just off 127.

I feel for yeah buddy...thats a heck of a drive to take every day.

Maybe we can meet up sometime and half a couple beers and talk mopar.

Beer and Mopars... Sounds like a good time.. I am going to drive the duster in to work a few time still this summer. Have to stop by and compare. It looks like you have done a ton of work. I would like to see some of the stuff you've done... Car looks good...

I'm not that familiar with the area yet, but I'm sure it isn't far. I work on N. Dettman Rd, right by where the are replacing that bridge on 94.. It is actually the engineering/commercial offices for dynomax. They have every system they offer hanging up in a large room in case someone calls for tech support... They have a nice garage with lifts and mandrel benders and plenty of mufflers.. I will have to see about getting in there with the duster.. I've heard people use it on the weekends sometime for personal use. They actually make all the stuff down in Virginia. Never been to that plant though...

We will have to meet up sometime for sure...

OK,yeah I know where you are talking about.

Drop me a line on here some time

Welcome. Detroit is my hometown. Lots of memories from the 12th and Canfield area.

Welcome from snake& Cindy,you do have some work for sure.Cin and I had a 74 duster when we were in our teens,than I thought it was ugly but now they are sweet,I guess as we get older we get wizer.Good luck.

-
Back