New Best

-
I feel your pain! This car - see picture below - has only run a 12.33 @ 109.9 mph. You would expect a little more from a car that looks like this - however... one must understand that this time was attained on street tires, through the mufflers, with timing retarded and warm spark plugs. The 60' time was 1.89 :puker: , so I know there's more to be had...

have to say that any car runing 12secons or faster is realy fast in my book :thumleft:

DARTSPORT said:
Congratz! Did you have fun today??

That Was The important part of the day.
I Had A Great Time.

No broken parts. Car has a bunch of bugs worked out, that I don't have to fix again.

Did I mention?
I Had A Great Day

sickt7cuda said:
Norm, what's wrong with 12.60? What were you expecting to run, and what was your previous best?
I think it was a 12.95 with this car.

Previous personal best in my Dart with the 440 was a 12.62 @102

I was hoping for a little better than my tired old 440.

Käkö said:
12.60 and you ain't happy :?:

So send the car for me...
I'm sure that i'm happy with it... :D

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy.
It does have more in it though.
I am pretty sure it should run in the 11's

klrfish1968 said:
I feel your pain! This car - see picture below - has only run a 12.33 @ 109.9 mph. You would expect a little more from a car that looks like this - however... one must understand that this time was attained on street tires, through the mufflers, with timing retarded and warm spark plugs. The 60' time was 1.89 :puker: , so I know there's more to be had...
I know the feeling with the 60' times

I knew I should have rebuilt the carb before I went up. But I wanted to go and didn't have enough time to do it.
First run it ran a 12.93, with the above 1.98 60'. Tires were spinning pretty good.
I heated the tires up, pulled out of the burnout, stopped and the engine quit.
Restarted, staged an ran it out. At the end of the run the engine is running like crap. Pull back to the pits, pull the hood and the secondaries are 1/2 full of fuel, and it's still pouring out.
Left the fuel pump off and started it, and ran it for a while. Tapped on the bowl a few times, then turned the pump on.No more problem, untill the last run where it was starting to smoke in the staging lanes like it was happening again.
Made the run, the 12.60, and at the end of the run it was doing it again.
Somethings under the needle, Time for the rebuild.

Mine does the same thing, but I think it just doesn't get drove enough - done did the carb rebuild. But then again, I bought the carb used in 1987, so maybe it's time to REPLACE said mixing unit. I'm pretty sure there are better ones out there...

Sorry I missed seeing it Norm , sounds like you had fun, one day soon I'll drag my sorry *ss up there. Keep us posted man :D

Thanks guys.
Andy, I was keeping my eye out for you yesterday.

Everyting went smooth yesterday. I could have made at least 6 passes, even though there was 2 oil downs. Wait time in the staging lanes was only about 1/2 hr. Which beats the heck out of the 2 hr wait that had been normal up there.
I only made 4 passes. But I bought fuel, and had to get the carb to stop leaking, and left early because I didn't want to push my luck with the carb.
I had thought's of your fuel pump.
It will be over a month before I go up again,due to other stuff going on.

And on another note, Be careful and watch your speed if you are driving up Rt.22.
Never seen so many people pulled over on that road. It's usually pretty quiet.

I'll list the time slip's
Don't laugh at the RT as I was just working on the car running right and not on the tree.
Shifting at 6800 crossing the line around 6200 rpm. I think it wants a little more gear, like the 4:88's
1'st Run with carb flooding, and tires spinning (20psi)
RT = .238
60' = 1.984
330' = 5.384
1/8 = 8.254
MPH = 84.97
1000' = 10.777
1/4 = 12.930
MPH = 105.44

2'nd Run (18psi in tires)
RT = .409
60' = 1.838
330' = 5.239
1/8 = 8.105
MPH = 85.13
1000' = 10.617
1/4 = 12.766
MPH = 104.27

3'rd Run (18psi in tires)

RT = .356
60' = 1.785
330' = 5.152
1/8 = 7.999
MPH = 85.77
1000' = 10.493
1/4 = 12.627
MPH = 105.12

4'th Run with carb flooding (18psi in tires)
I did hit the rev limitter on this run, I shifted a little slow, and I had left the switch on for the line lock which has a lower chip in it.

RT = .116
60' = 1.806
330' = 5.175
1/8 = 8.004
MPH = 84.46
1000' = 10.484
1/4 = 12.607
MPH = 105.72

Forgot to mention.
First two runs were made thru the mufflers.
Third and forth were with the caps out of the mufflers.
2 1/2" pipes with Warlock mufflers.
I wonder if a 3" system would help?

Mopower71 said:
Forgot to mention.
just wondering if the warlock mufflers sound good?

norman,
CONGRATS on your new best!!!!
whats your combo now??....did you buy that car a yr or so ago??..cuz i thought i seen it forsale somewhere.

what are you running for gears now??
what did you run for back tires??..maybe too much air??
what did you launch at??

just a few things to look at...did you go to the VALLEY?? and above all
YOU HAD FUN!!!! and NOTHING BROKE!!!! :thumrigh:

ps..nice ride too!!!!

duster340 said:
Mopower71 said:
Forgot to mention.
just wondering if the warlock mufflers sound good?
They don't have that deep throaty sound like the others. I'll have to fire it up and pay attention to how they sound, and get back to you.

mikesduster said:
norman,
CONGRATS on your new best!!!!
whats your combo now??....did you buy that car a yr or so ago??..cuz i thought i seen it forsale somewhere.

what are you running for gears now??
what did you run for back tires??..maybe too much air??
what did you launch at??

just a few things to look at...did you go to the VALLEY?? and above all
YOU HAD FUN!!!! and NOTHING BROKE!!!! :thumrigh:

ps..nice ride too!!!!
Thanks Mike.
Bought the car 2 years ago Feb. 15 2003.
Combo is 340 13:1comp, 850 holley, .530 cam, 4500 converter, 4:10 spool. Bfg Drag radials 325x50x15 with 18psi.
I was launching at 2000 and shifting at 6800 rpm.

I had a real Fun Day at the Valley, They were running real smooth up there, even with the 2 cleanups. I only ran 4 times but could ave gotten at least 2 more in.

-
Back