New "bolt on" six pack scoop

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Well, I went against all the warnings about not using Unlimited Products for a hood scoop....

I ordered their PR-53 bolt on six pack scoop and was happy with the product once it showed up.... took about a week and a half for it to arrive. I have to cut out the holes for air and a few small touch up areas but other than that its a solid piece.

Last fall I found a 71 Duster hood that previously had a scoop so im not worried about cutting into that one. Ill add some pictures as I get it ready....

Attachments

• six pack scoop.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,735
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,127
Subscribed. A friend,glassed a VFN flanged Six Pac scoop,to a steel hood. It takes a while.

Here's mine as I too grafted a six pack scoop onto a steel hood, as it took me about two full days of work, not including the organsol paint.

Attachments

• my duster and trophey 002 (Medium).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3,611
Nice job! It's hard work(lol). Grafted a Hemi scoop,to a stock 72 valiant hood.Agree,with the factory flat colors.Just looks mean.

Here's mine as I too grafted a six pack scoop onto a steel hood, as it took me about two full days of work, not including the organsol paint.

Good evening. I had a few PM conversations with you a while back. Basically your car is my inspiration for going this route. You wouldn't happen to have any under hood pics would you. Also what process to you take to make the final product. I will have numerous bolts as well as a layer of epoxy for any vibrations. Still not sure how the seam between the scoop and hood will turn out tho. Thanks

Ditch the bolts. They only cause rust/ separation issues later, because of the hole it goes through, in the steel that is not water tight. Use self tapping sheet metal screws to anchor it into position. Mock it up with screws, remove the screws and pull the scoop off. Then, get a good, clean grind on the parameter of the hood and a good, straight grind on the mating surface of the scoop and use a panel bonding epoxy. The same stuff they use in car manufacturing today, as well as in collision repair shops to do things like install quarter panels, bedsides, etc.

Put the screws back in, let it sit for 8 hours. Pull the screws, grind the bottom of the screw holes where they punched through, apply more epoxy into the hole areas, top and bottom and use aluminum or masking tape loosely to block the hole on the bottom for epoxy to sit on, let the holes dry/ set up.

Once it's bonded, you can sand, grind or do whatever you need to the epoxy to knock the highs off. The fiberglass and metal will tear before that stuff will. Even in collisions. Use typical filler work to finish it into the hood. I would suggest filling the scoop itself, when you do this. A lot of scoops look nice, until you see paint on them and realize they sag during manufacturing process. Especially after you've cut the opening at the front.

Just treat the sides of the scoop and the top like any other part of the car's body during body and paint work and it will look nice.

Nice example,smart man! Evercoat makes a plug and play adheshive for Vettes. Damn,I'll add mine tomorrow,picwise.

Yeah, SMC is a ***** for prep. Gotta use sealer on anything that has mold release on it.

These are some scoops from AMD that I did with the rest of this car;

superbee1.png

Best repops in the biz, still needed plenty of straightening, primer, re-priming, etc.

Got them polished like glass, walked away from the work stand, heared a cool sound, looked back and saw them butter side down on the shop floor under the board and stand.

Examined the stand, chain hook broke at one of the threads. Guy who brought the stand in used to work on Harleys. I think the stand was way overloaded at one point.

That's my hood scoop story. and I'm stickin to it.

Good evening. I had a few PM conversations with you a while back. Basically your car is my inspiration for going this route. You wouldn't happen to have any under hood pics would you. Also what process to you take to make the final product. I will have numerous bolts as well as a layer of epoxy for any vibrations. Still not sure how the seam between the scoop and hood will turn out tho. Thanks
ok, here's some pic.s of my under hood. First I determined where I needed to cut the hole in my donor hood, as it was critical, as I have an air grabber aircleaner ( oval ) and it's quite large, and I need the clearance because it protrudes up into the opening because of the M-1 intake I have. As you can see, the hole I cut, is basicly the same size as the bottom of the six pack scoop. Then I made a metal brace, as once the hood skin, and the bracing is cut away, the hood becomes somewhat flimsly, and if you do not brace it somehow, the bondo will eventually crack around the scoop. ( I'v seen it happen a lot!) You can see that I made the brace ( it's just folded sheet metal, and I rolled the edges for strength) so that I welded it back into the factory hood brace and this made the hood nice and rigid again. Then I drilled and bolted ( YES definitly bolt or rivit your scoop, even if others here say it's not nessessary) the scoop, also using a bonding adheasve between the two, and let it setup for a day. I have seen scoops come un-bonded from hoods from a quarter mile pass, down the drag strip, so I stress to you to use a mechanical fastener as well as bonding your scoop !! This next step is optional, as some folks just mount the scoop and call it done, but I prefer a more finished look, as I like it to look like part of the hood, not just somthing plunked on the hood. Anyway, after the bonding adheaseve as set-up, you can rough up the sides of the scoop with some 36 grit paper, and the hood area around the scoop as well ( I sanded the entire hood down to steel, and epoxy primed) and lay a few layers of fibeglass ( matte and resin) around the entire scoop, and let dry. Then I came back the next day, and roughed up the new fiberglass a little, and spread a couple layers of body filler on top of that and sanded it to shape to blend the scoop into the hood. Thats pretty much it, and then of course I painted the hood organasol to match the rest of my car. I also sprayed the under side of my hood with a spray in bed liner material, and this seals out any moisture from getting into and seems, etc. I hope this gives you some insight, and answered your questions. Give it a try, take your time and have fun !!

Attachments

• Picture 106 (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,871
  • Picture 105 (Small).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Picture 104 (Small).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,623
  • Picture 103 (Small).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,643
  • Picture 102 (Small).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Picture 101 (Small).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,712
  • Picture 100 (Small).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Picture 099 (Small).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,700
  • Picture 098 (Small).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,919
  • Picture 107 (Small).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,635
Please excuse the underside of my hood...as I had an antifreeze leak and it sprayed antifreeze everywhere the other day, and I have not had a chance to wash and clean up under the hood yet. LOL!

ok, here's some pic.s of my under hood. First I determined where I needed to cut the hole in my donor hood, as it was critical, as I have an air grabber aircleaner ( oval ) and it's quite large, and I need the clearance because it protrudes up into the opening because of the M-1 intake I have. As you can see, the hole I cut, is basicly the same size as the bottom of the six pack scoop. Then I made a metal brace, as once the hood skin, and the bracing is cut away, the hood becomes somewhat flimsly, and if you do not brace it somehow, the bondo will eventually crack around the scoop. ( I'v seen it happen a lot!) You can see that I made the brace ( it's just folded sheet metal, and I rolled the edges for strength) so that I welded it back into the factory hood brace and this made the hood nice and rigid again. Then I drilled and bolted ( YES definitly bolt or rivit your scoop, even if others here say it's not nessessary) the scoop, also using a bonding adheasve between the two, and let it setup for a day. I have seen scoops come un-bonded from hoods from a quarter mile pass, down the drag strip, so I stress to you to use a mechanical fastener as well as bonding your scoop !! This next step is optional, as some folks just mount the scoop and call it done, but I prefer a more finished look, as I like it to look like part of the hood, not just somthing plunked on the hood. Anyway, after the bonding adheaseve as set-up, you can rough up the sides of the scoop with some 36 grit paper, and the hood area around the scoop as well ( I sanded the entire hood down to steel, and epoxy primed) and lay a few layers of fibeglass ( matte and resin) around the entire scoop, and let dry. Then I came back the next day, and roughed up the new fiberglass a little, and spread a couple layers of body filler on top of that and sanded it to shape to blend the scoop into the hood. Thats pretty much it, and then of course I painted the hood organasol to match the rest of my car. I also sprayed the under side of my hood with a spray in bed liner material, and this seals out any moisture from getting into and seems, etc. I hope this gives you some insight, and answered your questions. Give it a try, take your time and have fun !!

Perfect! Thanks again! Should be my first spring project with the car..... then ill start restoring my Sharktooth grille.

That looks sweet. Makes me want to put one on my Demon. Really nice work.
:D

-
Back