• No

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
-

John Martin

Reaction score
I am thinking of an idea and wanted to gauge its popularity with the intended customers.

The idea is to start up a business that will sell, service, restore and provide parts for “1960-1974 focused” Chrysler Products.

Imperial
Chrysler
Plymouth
Dodge
Dodge Trucks

My idea is to make it like one were to step back into time and land at the respective dealership for each brand.

Each “dealer” building would have a showroom featuring models from a certain model year (i.e. 1968 Valiant, Belvedere, Fury, etc.) All models would be restored or unrestored in good condition and everything would be available 2-doors, 4-doors, wagons, etc.

Parts department would sell used original parts that would be refurbished and in good condition, new reproduction parts, nos parts, and new Mopar Performance parts (where applicable) for each make.

Service would be a full service department offering most common services in-house and use real vintage equipment and modern equipment.

Restoration Shop would take on customer-pay jobs and restore vehicles for sale by the house for the lot. All lot vehicles would be restored faithfully to factory specs and 100% stock according to each model year.

A fuel station would be located on the premises to provide high-quality fuel (i.e. Sunoco) for all vehicle, and would be accessible to customers.

Just a thought and wanted to see what the reactions would be.

Love That! but Who would work there? A Bunch of Old Dudes that stand around and tell stories? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Talent is drawn to cars like that and I am very scrupulous. I would weed out people who would not be a good fit. If old dudes who were my age when these cars were new worked there that would be fine. It’s about awareness and preservation of these cars and I’m glad I can say I am passionate about these cars and being young.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great.

I dont think it will work but I like the idea.

To much overhead for not enough profit.
(In my opinion.)

Sounds great.

I dont think it will work but I like the idea.

To much overhead for not enough profit.
(In my opinion.)

I understand I have thought of that as well. Need to figure that one out.

I got six words for you

Supply line issues
SUPPLY LINE ISSUES

What you are looking to sell (new, used, refurbished, NOS, whathaveyou) simply isn't there

I love the idea, but I don't see it happening

You'd be like the IHOP I went to afeq weeks ago

The girl said "welcome guys, we'd love to serve you, but we can only do pancakes'

I said, thanks for the warning, and went across the street to applebees

You would have to be in a huge metro area to support it . I would suggest opening it to all 50s and 60s cars.

One big problem will be your "shop rate".

Working on hot rods, muscle cars and race cars is a highly skilled job. People that do it for a living charge a permimim for their services. Now you wanna make a profit off that and that is fine BUT it WILL require your shop rate to be even higher than most other shops.

The problem (as I see it) is this.

Your busness plan is basicaly all mark up.
That is a failed plan. Why would anyone buy your marked up parts?

We have the internet now days.

So parts sales are a wash.

Your labor rate will be higher than competing shops.

Not good.

Add in a classic 60s diner and you could REALY burn cash quick.

This is just my opnion but i do work on old cars for a living and I did stay at a Holliday Inn once....

One big problem will be your "shop rate".

Working on hot rods, muscle cars and race cars is a highly skilled job. People that do it for a living charge a permimim for their services. Now you wanna make a profit off that and that is fine BUT it WILL require your shop rate to be even higher than most other shops.

The problem (as I see it) is this.

Your busness plan is basicaly all mark up.
That is a failed plan. Why would anyone buy your marked up parts?

We have the internet now days.

So parts sales are a wash.

Your labor rate will be higher than competing shops.

Not good.

Add in a classic 60s diner and you could REALY burn cash quick.

This is just my opnion but i do work on old cars for a living and I did stay at a Holliday Inn once....

You are making the assumption that all owners are savvy to parts availability and have knowledge of mechanicals.
I have run accross many classic car owners that are daunted by the simplest tasks and parts acquisition .
There are a lot of owners out there with more money than knowledge or patience that will drop a grand in a heartbeat .

Cope , surely you see this in your daily operations ? Or are you in a saturated market for this type of service ?

Never mind ... San Jose . Yep the center of the classic car universe.

i would love to live on your planet let me know when you leave i'll go. oh wait that sounds like heaven never mind i'm good

An absolutely wonderful idea! That said, you best be in the position to do this venture in similar fashion as running an aviation business. That being you can retire from aviation with a bit of money, you just have to start with a lot !

I dont understand the OP's thread with the separate show rooms concept.
It sounds like you want to open a high end restoration shop
The process of having a fuel service station alone would cost a fortune to build
I assume you have the background, experience and capital to start a venture such as described and bring investors

I really like it. Something similar to what I've always wanted to do, as a matter of fact. All I can say is, you better have some DEEP pockets.

I think on a smaller scale it is viable .
3 bays with lifts for repair .. a seperate larger bay for open door projects . Maybe a gas pump with higher octane fuel . 60s gas sation theme . You would need $100k to start it but it could work if you have the right demographics . You wouldnt get rich but could probably clear 50k/yr once it got going .

I would go there beacuse it sounds cool.

I just wouldn't spend much money but I understand i am not the customer you are looking for.

One thing you left out is a fuel pump that puts out leaded 110 race gas.

Id buy that.
That also locks in customers.

Once you build them a 14 or 15-1 engine no one ever goes back to 10.5-1 and now they HAVE to buy your gas....

Just sayin..

:)

I think on a smaller scale it is viable .
3 bays with lifts for repair .. a seperate larger bay for open door projects . Maybe a gas pump with higher octane fuel . 60s gas sation theme . You would need $100k to start it but it could work if you have the right demographics . You wouldnt get rich but could probably clear 50k/yr once it got going .

You treed me.

You could also offer detailing to generate revenue. And sell a few cars here and there .

Love That! but Who would work there? A bunch of young Woke People? or a Bunch of Old Dudes that stand around and tell stories? Lol
The old dudes won't be on their cell phones at least. They can tell stories and still get more work done than the young dudes.

3 man operation . Maybe 4... but someone there better be pretty sharp on tuning etc.

Might want to reference who you are talking to ...

i think who you are is irrelevant when it comes to starting a bussiness today even the well established shops are struggling. i picked up my 340 monday from a well known machine shop that has been in bussiness since the early seventy's dropped it off last september the five month time was because of parts issues machinist told me normal time used to be 2 to 3 weeks. do you really think a upstart bussiness could weather that?

i think who you are is irrelevant when it comes to starting a bussiness today even the well established shops are struggling. i picked up my 340 monday from a well known machine shop that has been in bussiness since the early seventy's dropped it off last september the five month time was because of parts issues machinist told me normal time used to be 2 to 3 weeks. do you really think a upstart bussiness could weather that?

Supply chain is already starting to ease . And I dont think a shop like this will be specializing in custom high end engines. They might send stuff out for basic machine work but not complete big HP builds .

-
Back