New carb for a 273...

-

six-seven "S"

Reaction score
I have a '67 Formula "S" that has the stock 273 Commando. The carb is shot and Im looking to get a new one. I've been eyeballing the Edlebrock Thunder AVS 650, but I can't find ANYTHING that says it's compatable with my engine/ intake! Everything says 318-340... I'm sure that it is, but will I have to change out my manifold (or should I)? Anyone have any insight? I'm open to suggestions on other ways to improve performance as well... (As you can probably tell, I'm pretty much a novice... Here to learn!)

500-550 cfm for a 273 would work better.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-1403&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Part Number: EDL-1403
Number of Barrels: 4
Carburetor Flange: Square bore
Choke: Electric
Fuel: Gasoline
Secondary Type: Air valve
New or Remanufactured: New
Fuel Inlet: Single
CFM: 500
Carburetor Finish: Silver
Ford Kickdown: No
Throttle Linkage Type: Universal
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Mild performance, small CID

edl-1403_w.jpg

99.9% of aftermarket carbs have a larger diameter air horn and wont fit your commando air cleaner. To rebuild the stock carb may be best plan. The stock single plane intake and choking exhaust manifolds limit the performance you'll get from a 273 anyway. Keep the 273 all stock and set your sights on a 360 with a lot of aftermarket stuff if you want to burn rubber.

The stock commando carb. was about 500 cfm. RedFish is right about the smaller airhorn on your original carb. All you have to do with modern carb. is get a cheap 10" chrome filter & use the base that comes with it. Your commando air cleaner will fit over it fine. I agree 273's are limited in what you can hope to get performance wise. The commando is a nice rare setup. Keep it stock & just refine it with maybe a new 500cfm carb.,mopar performance disributer and electronic ignition. A clutch fan will also free up a few horses & look stock. Have also found that a 3/4 inch 4 hole carb spacer works well on the original single plane intake.

Oldschoolcuda

Thanks for all of the info guys, appreciate it. I plan on keeping this car #'s matching since it's somewhat rare to begin with, but still want to add more power to the engine it has. Plan on rebuilding it to D-Dart specs in the future (a few years, once I learn a bit more). I thought the stock carb on the Commando was a Carter AFB 600, could be way off...
By the way, this site is awesome!!!

-
Back