New Carpet Questions.

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
I just recieved my new carpet, trim fit molded for a bodies. The instructions say to lay it out to relax for 12-24 hours. Well after 3 days it is still very wrinkled, am I missing something? Any tips on how to prepare this for a clean install ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

have you tried to settle it in by hand? sorta rub it down into the floor pan - jump right in there and push it into the corners and crevasses and whatnot -- certain areas are not visible once everything else is installed - you can lay cardboard in and then use books (or something similar) to weigh down the carpet to "force" it into the right position

I used a heat gun on low setting to make it pliable as I pressed it in place by hand. Worked great

Pat

I laid mine out in the car June 12 after having it stored in box for 3 years. I have been getting in there every few days bending the creases backwards and rubbing them down. Its was getting pretty close last I looked the other day. Car is sitting outside and we have had a few 90+ days in there. I think that 12-24 is just to relax the hard creases and get it to the point you could do a full glue down. I may do some glue, but not figuring it should need much.

First pic after a few hours. Second was today, 11 days later.
Back was no problem, but the big crease across the front floor pans has been slow to settle.
2016-06-12 19.59.30.jpg

2016-06-23 19.01.15.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, looks like heat and time is the trick!

I just recieved my new carpet, trim fit molded for a bodies. The instructions say to lay it out to relax for 12-24 hours. Well after 3 days it is still very wrinkled, am I missing something? Any tips on how to prepare this for a clean install ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm feeling it too! Really crappy fit around the 4spd tunnel. Got the heavies on it now...........................
Carpet2.gif

Thanks
I am looking at replacement of my carpet, do you recommend any venders?

I am looking at replacement of my carpet, do you recommend any venders?
I've always had good experiences with Dantes Mopar parts. Fair prices, fast shipping, good to deal with. When you call you get Dante himself and he is very knowledgeable on our cars.
Good luck!!

the sun works good.
I never seem to hear anyone else do this but i glued mine in the exact same spots as the factory and installed many weights to insure it dried where i wanted it, wrinkle free.

Thanks

I'm feeling it too! Really crappy fit around the 4spd tunnel. Got the heavies on it now...........................
View attachment 1714946207
Installed mine today. Mostly a great fit, but It is a little loose over the tunnel. I don't see any way to tighten it up without messing up other areas worse. It does not look bad though, so staying as is. It was also sloppy over the catalytic converter area. Probably not molded for that, but only affects under the seat

2016-07-02 21_10_54.jpg

Oh, added FYI - that is a Trim Parts carpet. Purchased about 3 years ago from Legendary. Supposed to fit 67-76. More pics and details of install page 12 of my build thread

Last edited:
With the weight I got mine to behave enough to put the seats in. Pulled out my soldering gun and a spray bottle with water. From the underneath I started the seat mount holes with the gun. Then from the inside I enlarged the holes with the soldering gun to the diameter of the holes. A little smoky but it worked out well, and fortunately didn't need the water.
Carpet3.gif

Saving funds for headrests and hinge covers. Dyeing the rear deck carpet and new door panels next.
DoorPanel.gif

Looks great, thanks for all the tips. Carpet going in tomorrow!

One thing that I found to work great is a beater bag. It's a sand bag made out of leather to mold panels into shape just lay it over an area that not conforming to shape and leave thereovernite.

-
Back