New Clutch and Flywheel HELP!

-

DSTR 340

Reaction score
Ok so I am planning on replacing the clutch and flywheel on my '70 Duster but wanted to ask a few questions before I disassembled everything. I have a 340 4 speed car and wanted to know how many splines my A833 transmission has? I am asking because I want to have the parts before I drop everything. From what I have read I believe it has 23, but I wanted to make sure. I also wanted to know how many bolts are on the flywheel? If there is anything else that you think I need to know before I order the parts, please feel free to chime in. Thanks!

unless you have a hemi or 6pk BB in there its a 23 spline...

i think SB have a 6 bolt crank flange if thats what you mean...

also the new clutches have two bolt patterns... one for the three finger and the other for diaphram...

23 splines 6 bolts on crank to flywheel should be a 3 finger setup

Yup, that what factory is. Most likely 10.5" clutch and pressure plate.

If the car is a toy, I would tear it down before ordering any parts.

Somebody may have changed flywheels etc to the aftermarket 10.95 clutch and pressure plate.

You will not know until it is apart.

And don't forget to turn the flywheel at the machine shop, add a couple of days for that or the new clutch will be chattering real quick.

Clutch change time on unknown parts, estimate a week minimum, for gathering parts.

Time actually changing everything in the driveway with basic tools a helper and some cold ones about 4-6 hrs.

Good luck

Thanks for all the replies. I had the clutch and flywheel out about 2 years ago. At the time I just didn’t have the money to replace the flywheel and clutch. It's the original flywheel with a 10.5 clutch. Thanks again for the info.

Have the flywheel cut if its OK .if you get a new one Make sure Its US made have it nuetral balanced, alot are not balanced at all. Replace the front seal in the front bearing retainer, and also the pilot shaft bushing. Remove the fork inspect for wear and put a dab of lube on it where it rides on the the pivot, also lube the retainer where the throw out bearing slides and the pilot bushing. You also might want to lube all the linkage while its apart, Shifter and clutch.

Thanks for all the replies. I had the clutch and flywheel out about 2 years ago. At the time I just didn’t have the money to replace the flywheel and clutch. It's the original flywheel with a 10.5 clutch. Thanks again for the info.

Just to be clear; is your intention is to change your clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing? Is there a reason that your flywheel needs to be replaced instead of just resurfaced?

If it turns out that you need a flywheel, I have an extra that is almost new up here in North Jersey that could would sell.

Do you know what year it is . Is it a heavy flywheel or light 70 and up. I would be interested if it a heavy one.

I had my motor rebuilt by Physixx AKA Ken about 2 years ago. When we took it apart he suggested that I replace the flywheel and clutch. The reasoning behind it was, that since I had everything apart it would be easier to do. Unfortunately due to some exigent circumstances and low cash flow I was unable to do it at that time. Ken suggested I replace the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate because of the newly added horse power. The other reason for replacing parts was the clutch was worn and 2 of the fingers on the pressure plate appeared to be slightly bent. As far as I know the only problem with the flywheel was the added horse power and the fact that it was the big heavy original one.

Yup, that what factory is. Most likely 10.5" clutch and pressure plate.
... Somebody may have changed flywheels etc to the aftermarket 10.95 clutch and pressure plate...

The 10.95 uses the same bolt pattern as the 10.50. Chrysler used the 10.95 clutch and pressure plate behind some big blocks. Oldmanmopar has some good advice to finish off your installation. Good Luck.

I had my motor rebuilt by Physixx AKA Ken about 2 years ago. When we took it apart he suggested that I replace the flywheel and clutch. The reasoning behind it was, that since I had everything apart it would be easier to do. Unfortunately due to some exigent circumstances and low cash flow I was unable to do it at that time. Ken suggested I replace the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate because of the newly added horse power. The other reason for replacing parts was the clutch was worn and 2 of the fingers on the pressure plate appeared to be slightly bent. As far as I know the only problem with the flywheel was the added horse power and the fact that it was the big heavy original one.

I was the one who connected you with Ken. I don't remember exactly but that might have been the 340 block that had been in my Barracuda. Glad you are getting the car all together. Buy a good quality clutch kit. I've had very good luck with the Centerforce but the other performance brands are good too. Nothing wrong with big, heavy and original flywheels. Just be sure to get it resurfaced. Most any auto parts store can get it done for you. The only thing better would be a billet steel sfi approved flywheel but they are expensive and probably not necessary with a reasonably stock 340.

Let me know if you need the flywheel I have, if not it can go to Oldmanmopar if he wants it.

Oh! I forgot to explain that I that the fingers on the pressure plate ended up getting bent while taking to motor out of the car. There was no damage to the pressure plate while it was installed in the car. This is my first classic car build and I am sorry if I am making this confusing. The pressure plate that came out of the vehicle had multiple small fingers all the way around the plate. I am not sure how many there were but I would estimate closer to 50. So based on what others have said in response to my post a stock pressure plate would have had 3 finger correct? I do know that it had a 10.5 clutch installed in it.

I know you introduced me to ken lol. He did a great job and you know from my PM a while back what my exigent circumstances were. The reason i am asking these questions is i have a connection that can get me a new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel at a reason able price. The questions at the top of the post are the things he said he need from me. I appreciate all the info, I am just trying to get things right to prevent any further delays. I am also trying to get the parts a.s.a.p. because i am involved in the organization of a first annual car show and I would like to have my car ready by then.

Shouldn't it be a borg and beck style pressure plate ? Not a 3 finger style GM or Ford cover. Am I nitpicking ? Borg n beck has 3 loop style contacts for the throwout bearing.

-
Back