New Compressor questions

-

photorep

Reaction score
Hi..I picked up this compressor from Craigs list and have never owned one before. So here are my questions.
1. on the picture with the two gauges and a black knob in the middle..what does the knob control?

2. What is the red canister for. Now it is empty. Is there some type of filter that should be in it?

3. In the picture with the big guage and red canister, there is some sort of control valve below the guage. What is the proper settings for this gauge??

4. My HF DA sander instructions say that some oil should be used....where do I put it??

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Compressor.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Compressor dials.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Compressor red.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Compressor knobs.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 232
1. That knob adjusts air flow to the tool you are using.

2. The red canister is a particulate/moisture filter to keep stuff out of your tools.

3. Not sure.

4. You should use a couple of drops of oil in ANY air tool you hook up. Use air tool oil for the tools. Just put 2 drops in the chuck where the air line hooks up each time you use the tool.

Hi..I picked up this compressor from Craigs list and have never owned one before. So here are my questions.
1. on the picture with the two gauges and a black knob in the middle..what does the knob control?
Regulates the air pressure

2. What is the red canister for. Now it is empty. Is there some type of filter that should be in it?
Water seperator

3. In the picture with the big guage and red canister, there is some sort of control valve below the guage. What is the proper settings for this gauge??
Another air regulator??Dependant upon air tool being used

4. My HF DA sander instructions say that some oil should be used....where do I put it??
A couple drops into the nipple
Thanks for your help

Sure others will chime in..........same time posting LOL

Being a oilless air compressor look on the bottom of the tank there should be a release valve make sure it is closed before running it. After it fills up open it enough to let the water drain out.

While using it,the compressor starts up to refill the tank stop doing what you are doing to let it fill up with air and wait about 10 minutes before starting again so it doesn't continue to run it will over heat and melt the plastic parts inside.

After you are done using your compressor drain the air and water out of it leaving the valve open so your tank doesn't rust.

Save up for a new compressor. Running a DA on that one will result in its untimely death pretty quickly.

Look at the motor, it will state the run time on it. Mine is 5hp rated continuous meaning it can run without fear of over loading itself. It's on a 60 gallon tank and when running a da or something for extended time I still wait here and there mainly so the air doesn't get moisture in it because the da will tap out the tank and then its running off just the motor. Proper lines, filter and water trap all go a long way but if your pushing an under rated compressor for the job don't expect a good outcome, a lot of waiting, slow process, moisture in your tools, etc.

Being oil free is not a good thing. They tend to be VERY LOUD so you might want to go get some ear muffs or put it outside. My experience with something that small is it is pretty much useless, except for perhaps filling tires. Air tools require a good size tank and a pretty decent amount of air flow. Last small tank, lower cfm compressor I had, which had a bigger tank and more air flow than yours, I ended up destroying the compressor unit using my plasma cutter with it. I was removing all the rivets form a truck frame for an off road project with the plasma cutter, the compressor was keeping up, but never shutting off. I was to busy doing what I was doing to care much about the compressor until the plasma cutter quit. Went into the garage, the internals of the pump were scattered on the floor and the oil from the compressor was dripping off the ceiling. You will not have the oil dripping problem but it will probably not take any amount of time for the thing to grenade. Good Luck.

-
Back