New dart bad tranny in pa

-

Zach1720

Reaction score
I just bought a 68 dart post car from jersey. Third gear slips out as soon as car tries to shift into it. Tried adjusting band no difference and topped off fluid. I'm pretty sure tranny needs rebuild. (Slant six a904) is that most likely the case? I also adjusted the kickdown cable as well.

Bands are not applied in direct, so adjustment not likely to do any good. Direct clutch is used for reverse as well as high gear...... hows it work in reverse??

Bands are not applied in direct, so adjustment not likely to do any good. Direct clutch is used for reverse as well as high gear...... hows it work in reverse??
It does go in reverse I haven't backed it up enough times to tell if it slips. I can try that and let you know. I gave found some good a904 tranny's on market place. Does it hurt a tranny to set for a long time if it was good when parked? Can I just freshen it up without getting into the guts of it? Thanks for the reply Lefy71!

16175416061507875346938782213174.jpg

Car has this hurst slap shifter in it. It seems like it's not right (the gears don't line up properly) could this be part of the problem?

Car has this hurst slap shifter in it. It seems like it's not right (the gears don't line up properly) could this be part of the problem?
Sure could! With any shifter but aftermarket especially, it is important to verify that the gear selector matches the position of the bracket on the transmission. For example, when you select neutral, verify that the shift lever on the transmission is actually in neutral. Do that for all the gears. There should not be any slop in the cable or linkage and if you remove the cable ferrule from the transmission bracket it should not be really tight.

What does the fluid color look like? Is it cherry red, or is does it look like dark molasses?

What speed does the transmission shift into second at part throttle? Is the kickdown linkage hooked up to the carburetor properly? Sometimes if the line pressure is too high the tranny will not want to shift into third until a very high speed.

I had an almost similar situation but it had ended not as well as yours

Sure could! With any shifter but aftermarket especially, it is important to verify that the gear selector matches the position of the bracket on the transmission. For example, when you select neutral, verify that the shift lever on the transmission is actually in neutral. Do that for all the gears. There should not be any slop in the cable or linkage and if you remove the cable ferrule from the transmission bracket it should not be really tight.

What does the fluid color look like? Is it cherry red, or is does it look like dark molasses?
I will try adjusting the linkage next. It is definitely out of wack, tranny fluid looks new

What speed does the transmission shift into second at part throttle? Is the kickdown linkage hooked up to the carburetor properly? Sometimes if the line pressure is too high the tranny will not want to shift into third until a very high speed.
I adjusted the linkage so when it's floored it's open all the way. It wasn't before.

No it did not. I adjusted the shifter linkage too. It was way off. I thought that may solve the problem. Idk if the combo of those two things ruined the tranny. Running out of ideas
Well, not the news you wanted to hear. If it were me, I would pull the unit and get it rebuilt. You can put some good clutches & bands at that time & have a good unit for the long haul. I'm sure you want to have peace of mind so you can focus on other projects with the car!

Well, not the news you wanted to hear. If it were me, I would pull the unit and get it rebuilt. You can put some good clutches & bands at that time & have a good unit for the long haul. I'm sure you want to have peace of mind so you can focus on other projects with the car!
Yes I think that's where I'm at. I thank you for your help!

If the band is too tight it will shift late into third....all depending on how far out of adjustment it is. Is reverse delayed? If reverse isn't delayed or weak, then I'd look at the band adjustment and the kd adjustment very carefully. Might be a stuck valve in the valve body. If you drop the vb, check the end play by prying between the drums..lots of end play (3/16" or more)..refresh time. Post a pic of what's in the pan.

Last edited:
If the band is too tight it will shift late into third....all depending on how far out of adjustment it is. Is reverse delayed? If reverse isn't delayed or weak, then I'd look at the band adjustment and the kd adjustment very carefully. Might be a stuck valve in the valve body. If you drop the vb, check the end play by prying between the drums..lots of end play (3/16" or more)..refresh time.
I would say that reverse doesn't feel right. Delayed, weak would be a good way to put it.

-
Back