New driving law bans motorists from eating breakfast sandwiches in Nova Scotia

-

grassy

Reaction score
After a spike in fender benders during morning rush hour, Nova Scotia is passing legislation that will ban drivers from eating breakfast sandwiches while operating a motor vehicle. The sandwiches have become a popular breakfast alternative because of their relative low cost and availability. Almost every restaurant open in the morning serves a delicious breakfast sandwich. But are they too delicious?

"You may as well be chewing on a gun," says Officer Bruce O'Reiley of the Halifax Regional Police, "All that melted cheese and sausage or bacon? It's game over for concentration."

O'Reiley heads Brake for Breakfast, a program that educates people on the dangers of driving while eating a breakfast sandwich. "People think that because you can't send a text on a southwestern omelette wrapped in a tortilla that it's somehow safe to eat while driving a Subaru wagon." O'Reiley continues, "I have some pretty gruesome case files that beg to differ."

Part of the problem is that you need at least one hand with which to eat - which takes one hand from the wheel. But the big danger may be how delicious a breakfast sandwich is. As O'Reiley puts it, "As soon as you're done swallowing one warm mouthful of salty meat, egg and cheese, you immediately want another. Your mouth waters as you plunge the flavourful disc into your mouth and then ... BANG, you've T-boned a hearse and there's a body on the freeway. That actually happened."

For everyone in the workforce who is short on time in the morning, O'Reiley has this advice: "If you have to eat in the car, fine, just make it something that won't distract you like dry toast or one of those awful green smoothies."

Nova Scotia is currently mulling over a comprehensive list of items that should be banned from touching drivers' hands. The list including make-up, electric razors, dogs, cigarettes, radio dials and even the hand of the person in the passenger seat.

they made our law a "Distracted Driving " law for that reason , I regularly see people driving with their knee while fixing up the food in their lap and a drink in one hand , they use spotting scopes around here to nail people for "distracted driving " and seat belts . one guy sets up the tripod behind a telephone pole and flags plate numbers for a couple of cruisers , they get a constant stream on people pulled over , they like to use where my street crosses a main street because there is a big rise 1 block away where the speed limit drops from 50km to 40 km on the main drag so with a scope and a radar gun you can hear the cash register ringing at my place a block and a half up the way .

It's pretty hard to legislate common sense.

I had a young lady pass me in Missouri yesterday morning in a Jeep. She had food in her left hand, texting with her right hand and driving with her knee.. :banghead:

I was on a major highway here in Toronto yesterday. There was a car in front of me and the driver kept jumping on the brakes, There was no cars in front of this person. I decide to change lanes and go around. When I pull up beside the car, I look in and there was a woman reading a book and to make matters worse, she had a young child in the backseat without a seat belt on.

they are targeting that crap here and both those cases would have probably been the end of their drivers license for a while by the time they added up the points for the tickets for each offence and the fines they would have been riding the bus . I wish they would catch them faster and clear up the roads for the rest of us who actually drive on them .

People seem to miss that not only are the roads full of self righteous a**holes, so are the sidewalks at ground level. I've often watched death in the making in downtown Toronto and so far I am glad I didn't have to watch it or be part of it!

Some thing are most certain. Culling the herd, is one of them and hopefully because of the self righteous, it's not me!

When we were into MX, we spent a lot of time on the highways. ..and I used to commute 3 hours a day at hwy speed.. I stopped the commute when I noticed that I would hit the highway and then be arriving at work w/o much recall of the drive..

I think I have seen everything from reading a newspaper to watching, it looked like TV.

I think for the most part, people are bored. R&T did a study years ago where they took a significant length of highway, a bunch of people (all age groups) and a bunch of normal cars. They blocked out all the gauges and told the folks to drive where you felt most comfortable. They had gizmos on the cars to state how fast they were going.

As it turns out, the most comfortable speed was somewhere between 70 and 80 MPH. When you are bored, the mind is wandering..especially in the flat states and provinces...you know, where you can watch you dog run away..for days..

The you get the vanrockets with mom in front and kids in the back that want to pass everything and the VWs... not sure why so many speeders drive them.. rain or snow..

Then my (and many truckers favorite) , those that do everything to pass you then slow down or even brake..

When I am driving my toy, and I am cruising at the speed limit or just below, every tiny car has to pass me...

Yup and it's the officer's discretion if he believes you are "distracted" I got pulled over for drinking a pop while driving. That was only a warning luckily. :finga:
Hands at 10 and 2 :finga: right back at ya eh LOL !

-
Back