New engine wont start

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
I just put a rebuilt 318 in my dart and it cranks over fine but will not fire. I have spark but it just wont fire up. Im thinking maybe the distributor is 180 off??? Thanks for any help.

I would say that it is a possibility that it is 180 off. When the timing marks are lined up on the cam it is #6 firing not #1. I had this backwards the first time I put together a Mopar LA.

Chuck

Pop your left hand valve cover and make sure that the #1 cyl. valves are closed at TDC. Check if the ignition rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire, if it is, check your firing order. I once got a big block cap from the genuises at the part store and the arrow on the cap shows the rotation opposite of a small block cap. And yes, they both fit perfectly.

Well You may not believe this but A friend of mine had a bran new 360 and put it in the truck and all was set perfectly. He called me and I told him to put a tea spoon of oil in each spark plug hole and then give it a try . It fire up and he could not believe it.
It just needed a little compression.

Be careful not to use too much oil if you try this as oil will not compress like air and can bend rods

-
Back