New ESPO Springs and shocks

-

paulieocean

Reaction score
Just installed a set of ESPO 5 leaf, stock height, rear leaf springs. Also installed a set of KYBs in place of the 30 year old air-shocks. The front already had KYBs.

I couldn't be happier with the ride and feel of the car now. Before it was wallowing all over the place in the back. Now it is much tighter and handles so much better. I do like a firm ride, so the KYBs suit me well. (I know there was a debate on those vs the bilsteins)

2016-07-26 16.21.25.jpg
2016-07-26 16.21.50.jpg
2016-07-26 16.22.12.jpg

What height change did you see with new leafs?
Its the stock height. I didn't opt for any height change. To my eye it does ride a little higher than before. But I could change the height of the back end with the air shocks, so it it hard for me to say

I have been wavering on getting stock height vs +1 Espos in a 6 leaf version (6 leaf was stock on my Bcuda). Heard nothing but good on the Espos.

Exactly what are Espos springs and where do you get them? Idea about the cost for you because I have a '70 dart 225 and probably would be the same springs I'm thinking? Thank you!

ESPO Springs n things is a supplier on the east coast. They do lots of different spring applications and i think are reasonably priced. Here is the link... Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Suspension | ESPO Springs n Things

You have to call or chat Laura, she will give you the pricing. I paid 185 for the stock 5 leaf. Adding in the ubolts, etc, brought it up to around 250. You then have to add shipping, so I think all in, I was around 325 or so.

I have been wavering on getting stock height vs +1 Espos in a 6 leaf version (6 leaf was stock on my Bcuda). Heard nothing but good on the Espos.

If your springs are sagging now, its because they are probably the stock 40 something year old springs.
I recommend stock replacement springs, unless you want the *** end way up in the air.
Even stock replacement springs raise the *** end up, untill they settle.

Thanks guys! Here in Portland Maine we have Palmer Spring Company who has been in business alot of years. I'll call Espo and get a price, and then call Palmer and see how close to each other they are, should be interesting! I want the final height to be a LITTLE higher than level. In your opinion Johnny would new stock springs eventually settle to be level?

You could also probably have them make a pack with an extra leaf (more stiffness) but for stock ride height, that way it will settle less and end up sitting a tiny bit higher. IMO the stock non-HD springs are too soft anyways. I have a junkyard 'bastard pack' in my '70 Duster right now but it's not optimal (bit stiffer but the back sits too high), I do plan at some point to give Espo a call and have a custom leaf pack made to be a good bit stiffer but still have the car sit at stock height as I'm going more for handling.

Also remember you can lower the rear of the car by flipping the front spring hanger just throwing that out there...

Thanks guys! Here in Portland Maine we have Palmer Spring Company who has been in business alot of years. I'll call Espo and get a price, and then call Palmer and see how close to each other they are, should be interesting! I want the final height to be a LITTLE higher than level. In your opinion Johnny would new stock springs eventually settle to be level?

Springs settle over time, nothing you can do about that. If you want the height a little higher than level, stock replacement (IMHO) is the way to go. As long as your not carrying sand bags in the trunk, they will maintain their height for many years.

FWIW, I bought the standard height 6 leaf Espos for my sagging '66. Sag is gone, has a gentle rake which will probably settle a little over time. Haven't taken it on the road yet, but I am very happy with the stance. I talked to Laura before I ordered them, found her to be helpful. Fast delivery, good price, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks guys for your feedback ! Just about have made up my mind to go with Espo, but had 2 more questions!! is it your thoughts that getting a stock height leafs even though a bit higher now, would they soon relax and put the car about level? The other question is, if I bought leafs with an inch added lift, would the back end stick too far up initially? Thanks in advance!

I think the springs will settle a little bit over time, but not overly much. You could probably accelerate that process by adding weight in the back (sandbags, for example). I ordered the stock height though, but I think other members here have ordered the +1 also.

..i just installed the standard 6 spring stock height Espo units and am disappointed.Car
sits noticeably higher than stock.I have made new front mounts to lower the rear to the
stock location.

..i just installed the standard 6 spring stock height Espo units and am disappointed.Car
sits noticeably higher than stock.I have made new front mounts to lower the rear to the
stock location.

Could you guess roughly how much higher than stock that you mean? 1 inch, 2 inch?? Thanks!

..2 inches for sure and am wondering if Laura sent a pair of 1" over

Wow... have you talked to her/them about it since it's been installed? That's a pretty big screwup on their part especially considering their good reputation.

I shouldn't have said that because i'm just wondering and am not sure a mistake was made..maybe that's the way they are.I certainly didn't mean to call them out.
Anyway it's not an option...i'm in Ontario,removing the springs,return shipping, etc
Right now it sits too high...i'll just fix it.

Last edited:
Ah man, that sucks bigtime... just to be sure you paid attention to the little stuff like tightening the bolts with the car on the ground right? And the shackles are angled right?

I know just flipping the factory front hangers lowers the rear around 1".

Yes tighten the front at ride height.The rear shackles will hit their stops and can't be over tightened.
I have made front perches before and this allows you to pick your ride height.They are just 3/16" wall 3 1/2" sq tube.You just cut off everything that isn't a spring perch and drill your holes

-
Back