New FABO member with old '68 Dart

-

DTFTH45

We Are...Penn State!
Reaction score
Hi! Im new to the forum here. The car is original to our family, bought new by my grandparents in 1968. The car was painted once, and does not run as of now. Any helpful hints to encourage my dad to start working on it again? The pictures are from akward angles because of our baler being in the way, sorry.

View attachment Capture.jpg

View attachment DSCN7448.jpg

View attachment DSCN7449.jpg

View attachment DSCN7450.jpg

View attachment DSCN7451.jpg

View attachment DSCN7453.jpg

View attachment DSCN7456.jpg

Tell him that the dirt needs washed off because it is causing the car to rust. Gandpa and Grandma wouldn't want the car to rust. A/K/A Guilt trip.

Welcome to the FABO family!!!!

Cool story. Nice ralley wheels in the trunk too.

very welcome to A-bodiesonly.......i absolutely love your car....i have your cars sister.....my car is exactly the same except i have two less doors....but same color same engine same dash ....they are sisters completely LOL

Attachments

• CIMG0485 (2).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 5I25G75J23E93F43Hfc5l13db21a3e2111321.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 308
  • CIMG0513.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 297
Welcome to FABO!

Push that thing out in daylight, wash it down, vacuum it out, clean up the Rallyes and trim rings in the trunk and you are on your way. If you need some $$ then sell the Rallyes local or on here to start your quest!

Then get a factory service manual and begin to try and diagnose what is wrong with the car and enlist your dad in helping to figure out where the issue is. Make it a social experience on a long weekend during some down time and it will be easier to get Dad involved.

Good fuel, good spark, and timing and it should run. That car is easliy forgotten about tucked behind the baler (I call it mechanical inertia, a car at rest stays that way unless acted upon by an outside force).

Not sure how long it has been sitting, but I can assure you that the car itself should fall apart around a properly maintained slant 6 long before that engine is dead. Fresh plugs and wires, etc, fresh source of gas and a change of fluids and filters and fresh battery if it has been sitting a long time and you should be good to go...any issues beyond that, people here are more than willing to help (even for a four door cruiser) LOL.

There is a loyal slant 6 fanbase here that can help diagnose ANYTHING. Hope that helps!

Welcome to FABO. Get that car cleaned up and running again. Tell your dad, it's a classic.

Very cool..... 1968 is the best year !!!!!!

thanks for the share and welcome to FABO

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. Hopefully this will convince my dad to get the car out and washed off, and then also get her running again. Thank you

Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy this site. Great people and information!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• Just Home Front View.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 229
Welcome to FABO. You should get some ideas here about how to get your Dart rolling again!

that baler looks way to familiar hauled a lot of hay off one as a youngster NH thrower.

Wow, that thing looks like a time capsule inside and not too bad outside either. Any idea why it doesn't run?

Welcome aboard! You and your dad will find plenty of inspiration around here. :-D

welcome. man, ck that 7band underdash Eq... vintage. :)

Oh yeah. 4 of the tractors we use are orignial to my great grandfather's farm, all from the late 40's and early 50's!

Yep, we finally got all the crap vacuumed out of it. As far as the running goes, we have taken the first step...getting a new battery, haha, at least it was free (lifetime warranty), I guess we will throw her in and see if she will run.

My dad had many different radios and such in the car, he added speakers on the rear deck behing the rear seats too. The car also has air shocks on the rear.

Well we finally got the junk swept out of the car and engine bay (mice). We have taken the first step towards getting her running...a new battery (free from lifetime warranty). I guess we will put her in and see if she starts.

If the mice are a continuing problem even after you clean out their remnants, you can throw a few new fabric softener "Bounce" type drier sheets in the engine bay, under the seats, etc., and it will run them out. They hate the smell.

If the mice are a continuing problem even after you clean out their remnants, you can throw a few new fabric softener "Bounce" type drier sheets in the engine bay, under the seats, etc., and it will run them out. They hate the smell.

Yup and moth balls are good for that also, and they ward off snakes.

-
Back