New felt for glass run channel install?

-

standup303

Reaction score
Just got some new felt and tabs for the front of the door glass run channel. From what I’ve reached looks like I need to:

-Pop the door glass out the top
-Take the entire window channel with the vent glass out the top
-Cut some holes for the tabs in the new felt/plastic
-Trim the top side of the plastic to fit the vent window rubber
-Looks like some people had issues with the new felt being too tight and have to trim it?

Is that about it? Any tips? Going to attempt it this weekend. Below is the part I’m talking about.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/dart/parts/mn3104.html

IMG_6674.jpeg

Just got some new felt and tabs for the front of the door glass run channel. From what I’ve reached looks like I need to:

-Pop the door glass out the top
-Take the entire window channel with the vent glass out the top
-Cut some holes for the tabs in the new felt/plastic
-Trim the top side of the plastic to fit the vent window rubber
-Looks like some people had issues with the new felt being too tight and have to trim it?

Is that about it? Any tips? Going to attempt it this weekend. Below is the part I’m talking about.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/dart/parts/mn3104.html

View attachment 1716188128
Yup!

I used these parts.

First, get a 25 watt soldering iron with a scalpel tip and use it to cut holes for the tabs. Much cleaner and less risk of causing long cracks in the plastic as that will ruin the moulding.

It is made by Weller and looks like this.

1704477480750.png

They are going to be tight initially but will ease up with use.

I coated the edge of the window and the felt with a light coat of silicone spray that made a difference.

Pre- fit the silver studs into the white plastic guides before using them as the holes may need to be reamed out a little. (very tight fit!!)

Hope this helps!!

Yup!

I used these parts.

First, get a 25 watt soldering iron with a scalpel tip and use it to cut holes for the tabs. Much cleaner and less risk of causing long cracks in the plastic as that will ruin the moulding.

It is made by Weller and looks like this.

View attachment 1716188150

They are going to be tight initially but will ease up with use.

I coated the edge of the window and the felt with a light coat of silicone spray that made a difference.

Pre- fit the silver studs into the white plastic guides before using them as the holes may need to be reamed out a little. (very tight fit!!)

Hope this helps!!
Awesome thanks! I’ll see if we have one of those soldering irons at work.

Reuse your original sliders the new ones are know to cause the tight fit
that some have an issue with

Got the window and vent frame out. Wasn’t too horrible. Talk about a can of worms though. Good opportunity to really clean everything up good. Will probably order some new cat whiskers and give the interior side of the door a fresh coat of black.

I think you are dreaming... The glass has to come out the bottom - the only way to do this is to remove the vent window/window frame from the door, install the glass in the channel with the felt and nylon guides and then reinstall the whole thing in one piece. It is particularly not easy because of the little adjuster arm at the bottom of the channel - getting it in and out is best done with 2 sets of hands
DSC01855.JPG

DSC01856.JPG

DSC01857.JPG

DSC01858.JPG

DSC01859.JPG

DSC01860.JPG

And yes it took a month of repeatedly rolling the windows up and down while gripping the glass at the top behind the vent window, pulling up and then pushing down to get it to loosen up in both the sets of felts and nylon guides that I have installed, but eventually it has worked fine and operated well for a long time.

And yes it took a month of repeatedly rolling the windows up and down while gripping the glass at the top behind the vent window, pulling up and then pushing down to get it to loosen up in both the sets of felts and nylon guides that I have installed, but eventually it has worked fine and operated well for a long time.
What did you use to cut the holes for the white tabs?

Here is a link to a very helpful video on A-Body Door Window disassembly and reassembly.
He has several Videos and a Web Page dedicated to the restoration of his father's 69 Barracuda Fastback.

Video by Angel Garrido
Part 1

Part 2

What did you use to cut the holes for the white tabs?
look at the fourth picture down in my post and at the bottom right of the window you will see the scribe that I used - grabbed with a glove, heated the tip and carefully made the hole - leaves a ring of thicker plastic around the hole.

-
Back