New frame rails?

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
Guys, my duster has a little frame rot on the rear frame rails where the frame connectors are welded in. Are the replacements from year one that say FRAME RAIL CAP, what I need to replace them with? Or are they just the crappy cover up-weld over the rust kind? I figure I might as well do it right the first time while I have the car apart to avoid future headaches. Are the frame rails spot welded in? How big of a pain is it to replace them? I have all the necessary tools & can weld extreemely well.

Thanks, Matt8)8)

I think they are the cover up the rust repair. I cut mine out and welded in new metal. I figured since I intend on keeping the car as long as I live or can keep it going I wasn't covering up anything that would come back to haunt me. My .02

Thats what I want to do. Fix it right the first time & be done with it!

Thanks guys!

S&W race cars makes replacement frame rails ....2x3 box tubing is used they have patterns for most A bodies.... great guys and quality parts .

swracecars.com or tech line # is ...1-610-948-7303
parts order line is ....1-800-523-3353

i just got a 69 dart to use the frame for my 69 cuda, im just going to swap there frames, but i have no clue how to?? It will be fun. :clock:

Its not that difficult, just can be time consuming and tedious work. lots of spotwelds to cut if your doing the entire rail, not so many if your going to replace a smaller section. either way be sure the car is well supported before you begin removing structural pieces. 8)
The rail "caps" are just that, a cap. While they do provide the structural integrity lost due to rotten frame rails, I feel its a bandaid for a wound that wont heal, and not "correct" for restoration. For all the labor involved in the prep for the cap I believe the time is better spent replacing the entire rail or section of it with an "original factory" type piece, wether its new or clean used.:glasses9:

-
Back