New from North Dakota

-

Matthew Quinn

Reaction score
Hi folks.

When I was a kid my dad always talked about his 1970 Challenger. Last year i picked up its baby brother and got a 1970 Dart with a 318. Dad just retired a couple months ago, so we are in the process of dreaming/designing a 340 for next winter. Fortunately our winters here are quite long so we will be able to take our time on a build. Have started so far by procuring a very clean 1969 340 Bare Block and some J heads that will need some work. This site has been great to gather insights. Looking forward to asking all my questions (after i confirm they haven't already been answered)

AWPU0812.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Welcome! North Dakota, been there a time a two..:)

Welcome from Devils Lake. I'm a fan of the small block specially the 340. One thing to consider on your build is recondition the J heads vs buying new alum head. If it is true stock resto you may want the J. I did a stock head a few years ago that cost quite a bit. Enjoy the 318 for upcoming summer.

Hi folks.

When I was a kid my dad always talked about his 1970 Challenger. Last year i picked up its baby brother and got a 1970 Dart with a 318. Dad just retired a couple months ago, so we are in the process of dreaming/designing a 340 for next winter. Fortunately our winters here are quite long so we will be able to take our time on a build. Have started so far by procuring a very clean 1969 340 Bare Block and some J heads that will need some work. This site has been great to gather insights. Looking forward to asking all my questions (after i confirm they haven't already been answered)

View attachment 1715472398

View attachment 1715472399
Damn nice to have another North Dakota member here I live in Bisbee ND. if you don't mind me asking what part are you in?

Welcome from Devils Lake. I'm a fan of the small block specially the 340. One thing to consider on your build is recondition the J heads vs buying new alum head. If it is true stock resto you may want the J. I did a stock head a few years ago that cost quite a bit. Enjoy the 318 for upcoming summer.

My research is showing the same. I suppose it will come down to $$. I’m planning a solid bottom end - all forged. The block didn’t come with any extras so I will have to procure everything. If I can get by with an inexpensive rebuild on the heads and make due for the first year and then upgrade the following that would be ok. Not so concerned about having it as a true stock Resto. I already have the intake, but it would probably upset some purists (edelbrock pro flo 4 fuel injection).

I’m in Fargo. Glad to see that some others up in the frozen tundra!
I have 2 boys that live in Fargo and a good friend that's building a 71 Demon will have to meet up some day when it warms enough to go outside.

My research is showing the same. I suppose it will come down to $$. I’m planning a solid bottom end - all forged. The block didn’t come with any extras so I will have to procure everything. If I can get by with an inexpensive rebuild on the heads and make due for the first year and then upgrade the following that would be ok. Not so concerned about having it as a true stock Resto. I already have the intake, but it would probably upset some purists (edelbrock pro flo 4 fuel injection).
Smart to build really solid block & rotating assy, then you can upgrade heads anytime. The fuel injection will be nice. If car is running good, come up to Devils Run car show May 29-31.

-
Back