new front end?

-

sbaz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some direction. I have a 1964 Plymouth Valiant that I want to hot rod. I decided to tackle the front end first. The bushings are completely shot, the brakes don't work well and the bearings are making an awful noise above 15 mph. I have seen rebuild kits for $300 or more but if I go to disk brakes, change the bolt pattern to 5 x 4.5 and have to change/modify the k-member to fit in a v8 eventually would it be better to just replace the whole front end with a kit. I have seen a lot of write-ups on the AlterKtion. Are there any other bolt-ons? Maybe a little less expensive.
Thanks.

Here's some good news for you. You don't have to change your K member to put in a V8, in the early A's it used the same one for either a /6 or V8. I myself went with the big bolt pattern disc brakes from a 74 Dart while I was rebuilding the front suspension on my wagon. I went with at the time a PST super set. It had all the balljoints, and bushings, along with new upper control arm pivot bolts, idler arm, and some other odds and ends. I do wish that I would of picked up a front sway bar, but that's just me. I would suggest doing a search on disc brakes here, and read about the different options, and costs.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am on an island about 2500 miles away from the closest mopar junkyard. I actually found a good brake kit but I am worried that the rest of the front end will fall apart. It rattles, shakes and rolls... Will one of those rebuild kits (ie. PST Polygraphite Front End Kit) really fix it?

It is a wonderous improvement when the suspension stays where it supposed to be. My wagon would seriously change lanes when I would hit a bump, or dip with one wheel. Scarey as hell, but that result help me sell the idea to the wife, that way she could see how the money helped out the ride, instead of saying the $$ was this little shiney part.

Thanks for the advice. I took the wife for a ride so she's convinced already.
I did a lot of reading and it looks like I'll go with the PST rubber kit.
Mahalo (thanks)

-
Back