New fuel filler grommet is torn...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
On my 68 Cuda fastback, I replaced the fuel tank and filler tube grommet. A few months later, I can't fill'er up all the way because gas comes out of the seal and leaks everywhere... It appears it has torn...Why would this happen? Is the angle wrong? This stuff can only go in one way...

I was thinking of maybe cutting an inch out of my filler neck somewhere and replacing with some rubber marine fuel line with some heavy duty clamps..What's your opinions?

Torn grommet:

IMG_3345.jpg

Filler tube, where should I cut? I'm thinking 6 inches from the flange on the quarter panel...

IMG_3377.jpg

Might be better just to get a new seal and try it again. Make sure you put something on the tube for lubrication. Yes I know it's no fun especially when you have to do something twice.

Did you drop the tank when you did this? If so, is it possible you got it one way or the other just enough to apply pressure, enough to tear the grommet.

As mentioned I would also lube the grommet with some Vaseline or something to give it some flexibility in movement. Around the filler tube and maybe some around where it goes into the tank.

Just thinking out loud here.

Ok. I will try it all again. I have the new seal. Last time I lubed it with some of that valvoline multi-purpose grease. I really don't want this thing to tear again. I'll try vaseline this time.

Also you might want to check the inside of the tank entrance for any sharp edges that could possibly cut it.

Doesn't really make sense as to why that would happen. Like I said before make sure the tank is centered properly as well, so as not to put undue pressure on one side of the grommet.

im not sure what kind of seal it was...i think it had a pentastar stamped on it...which could mean anything.

the green stuff is called blue lightening....its a fuel tank liner...i was kinda sloppy with it, but i thought it would be a good idea to line my tank...first time ive used a product like that before...maybe itll help with corrosion over time... maybe it wont...

im not sure what kind of seal it was...i think it had a pentastar stamped on it...which could mean anything.

the green stuff is called blue lightening....its a fuel tank liner...i was kinda sloppy with it, but i thought it would be a good idea to line my tank...first time ive used a product like that before...maybe itll help with corrosion over time... maybe it wont...

I have met the guy that makes the Blue Lightning products. He has a great paint stripper and rust inhibitor. He used to come to the swapmeets here but he quit when the economy tanked.

I agree with the above remove the tank don't mess with the filler tube maybe loosen it. another person helps when rocking the tank to walk it on the filler tube. my filler neck had some corrosion roughness to it where it went in I used some 80 followed by 220 grit sandpaper and cleaned it up around the seal area. did the trick for me. good luck!

-
Back