New Gas Tank "Leak"

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
65 Barracuda

Ok not sure what I need to do here. The filler neck is leaking slightly. I thought I had it in the tank deep enough but obviously I don't. Any suggestions on what I can do to position it correctly? Should I spray some WD40 and just twist?

Found the reason for the leak. OMG knock on some freaking wood. If it can happen it will. The f'ing filler neck gasket tore. It was good when I put it in I checked it all was good sometime between now and then it tore. AHHHHH damn it all to hell.

Found the reason for the leak. OMG knock on some freaking wood. If it can happen it will. The f'ing filler neck gasket tore. It was good when I put it in I checked it all was good sometime between now and then it tore. AHHHHH damn it all to hell.
I gotta do the same repair too. Only leaks when completely full though.

Okay looking at the service manual it appears I may be able to remove the filler neck without tanking the tank out. Can anyone confirm this? Suggestions help? I would really rather not drop the tank again.

Can you get at the screws/bolts that hold it to the 1/4 panel? My 74 has 4 screws holding the neck to the 1/4. If I remove them it'll come right out I believe. It should be pretty easy to see if she'll come out. Just look under the cap and inside the trunk. I believe factory should 4 nuts that install from inside the trunk.

i know my 68 just has 4 screws threw the sheet metal to hold it...

undo those and wiggle it around... it take s a bit to get the right angle on the dangle lol...

and if you have the vent tube that attaches near the top of the filler tube with a big "U". dont cut the hose cuz its an oddball size they dont make

Yep. Mine has those 4 screws but I didn't know if they were stock. Mine are all new & Shiny and about 1.5" long. I imagine the stock ones are black & Shorter. Should be an easy removal/installation.

-
Back