New Gas Tank--Which One?

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I've decided to replace the gas tank in my '71 Scamp rather than try to clean out 38 year-old crud. But I'm seeing tanks with no vents, 1 vent, 2 vents and even 4 vents. Can someone edjumacate me on what I should get? What's the difference? If it matters, I'm thinking of the Aeromotive A1000 pump, and plan to run a 1/2" fuel line and 3/8" return.

Also, I see that the '70 A-body tanks were 18 gallon, and the '71 is only 16. Can I use an earlier tank for the extra capacity without any fitment issues? I want to install the pump in-tank, and figure I could use the extra space.

I've decided to replace the gas tank in my '71 Scamp rather than try to clean out 38 year-old crud. But I'm seeing tanks with no vents, 1 vent, 2 vents and even 4 vents. Can someone edjumacate me on what I should get? What's the difference? If it matters, I'm thinking of the Aeromotive A1000 pump, and plan to run a 1/2" fuel line and 3/8" return.

Also, I see that the '70 A-body tanks were 18 gallon, and the '71 is only 16. Can I use an earlier tank for the extra capacity without any fitment issues? I want to install the pump in-tank, and figure I could use the extra space.
When you get the A1000 pump be sure and get the optional earmuffs to go along with it! Noisey isn't the proper word for it. I've tried using hose, rubber isolators, everything and it will annoy you to no end. I'm looking for a suitable replacement that is more friendly on the ears!!!

I've seen the same thing. I am going to drop my tank out sometime this year. I've got to change the sending unit over to one that will work with my AutoMeter MCX gas gauge. So.... while I'm at it I'm going to see if I need a new tank. Most likely.

I'm not a expert on this subject but I don't think you need a vent at all. Now there is a option that I've always wanted to try out and that is have a return line coming off the other side of the 4150 Holley carbs on the front bowl and rear. Another words while the car is off and sitting the fuel pump can be left to run for a few minutes and keep the fuel lines and carb cool. It recirculates the fuel. I would have to go back and look up this info but anyways if you get a tank with 1 or more vent lines you could have that option.

When you get the A1000 pump be sure and get the optional earmuffs to go along with it! Noisey isn't the proper word for it. I've tried using hose, rubber isolators, everything and it will annoy you to no end. I'm looking for a suitable replacement that is more friendly on the ears!!!

Yeah, I've heard the A1000 is loud. That's why I had planned to mount it in the tank to help supress the sound--that and to help keep it cool. I'm not 100% set on that pump, but was leaning that way.

Did you finally make a decision?

I'm curious to what you find out because I'll be going at it pretty soon. I haven't looked for tanks or prices yet ... hoping I don't have replace actually. I was going to take it to the radiator shop and let them boil it out if anything.

Nah, no decision yet. I was hoping to get a little more feedback, and maybe an answer to the 18 gallon vs. 16 gallon question. Are the different year tanks interchangeable?

...anyone?

Yeah I have the same ? posted I have a 73 dart and I looked at a dart in my town for sale the tank looked the same the car looked older but I don't know exactly what year it was.

-
Back