New glass hood.. Stock hinge springs ok?

-

96bansheepilot

Reaction score
I just picked up my hood for my 72 Dart.
Can I use the stock hinge springs? I don't want it to flex or stress the hood. The hood springs are super strong.
Thx!

1201161304.jpg

Stock springs will be too stiff. You've got a few options, you could remove the springs completely and just use a hood prop, no chance of the springs warping anything that way. You can modify the stock springs, which is done by heating them up with a torch until the spring rate seems appropriate for the weight of the new hood. Or you can buy lightweight springs, I know there's at least one company that sells springs for use with fiberglass hoods although I can't recall what company at the moment.

You can also use the springs from a mid 80's Dodge Daytona. I think there is a thread floating around here some where.

Do you have provisions for hinges on that hood or is meant to be a lift off?

You can also use the springs from a mid 80's Dodge Daytona. I think there is a thread floating around here some where.

Do you have provisions for hinges on that hood or is meant to be a lift off?

FWD Daytona, Shadow and other similar cars have hood springs that will work. They need to be installed 180* off rom the OEM springs. They are borderline for a Dart Lite/Feather Duster hood which weigh about 15 lbs less than OEM all-steel. I have them on my car and while they will hold up the Dart Lite hood with a scoop, any little vibration/bump will cause it to close. So I gotta use a prop also and will look at other options for a slightly stiffer spring.

The FWD hood springs should be cheap to get at a U-Pull-It.

If I recall right, the company that was making the hood hinges for glass hoods is Glastek out of illinois

There are a couple companies that make them. I was looking and it appears that that make them to work with stock springs now. It depends on the company that makes them though. Just Google it.

-
Back