New guy in town

-

74PlymouthDuster

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to the forum and new to the scene of not only A-bodies, but new to restoration work. I don't have to much of a background on cars, so will probably be looking for a lot of advice and guidance!

I just picked up a 74 Plymouth Duster. It has some rust, but not to bad, a lot of surface rust. I will be the 3rd owner, an older woman bought it brand new in 1974 and gave it to her grandson when she passed away. It's all original from the wheels and hub caps, to the car jack and spare to the keys and engine. It's a base model slant 6, no A/C, no power steering. I paid 500 for it and he says all it needs its some gas and a battery, plan on cleaning and rebuilding the carb and emptying the current gas.

My plan is to drive the car and slowly work on restoring it, my question is where are the prone rust holes in these? Any advice on where to start the restoration?

Thanks and hope to hear from some of you and share some great future stories!!

p.s My name's Chris! if it matters at all, I work full time and I'm 23 and excited to get rolling!

Welcome to FABO Chris. Sounds like you have a good starting point with the duster. This is a great site to find parts and advice on how to issues. Good luck with your project. Are you going to keep it stock or modify it ?

My plan is to take it back to it's hayday like it would of rolled off the show room floor.

Well imma mod it some, but I will keep all original parts. So I'd like to get a new exhaust but keep the original still. That make sense? So if i modify it at all I will keep the original part as well so if I wanted a few mods and i could take it back to all original.

Only crossroad I am at is paint. idk if I wanna go back to the factiry green it is or a crazy paint job like panther pink!

Welcome to FABO man!

74 slant six cars are nothing special, but to each his own! Where do you live at in wichita? I use to live there a while back, I went to heights high school. Go Falcons! lol..

anyways the cars have a tendency to rust in the quarters/ wheel wells / trunk and floor pans as well as the lower fenders..

You should post some pictures man.

well i think u will find the site a big help ........if u need parts hit me up and i will see if i can help ya

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yea I know it's nothing special, well to me it's special because I'm in love!

And thanks I may be needing some parts, I can already think of some off the top of my head lol

Gotta get it hauled to my house (just bought it the other day havnt got it towed, needs a battery and carb cleaning/rebuild)

and I get a decent camera that isn't my phone lol

-
Back