New guy with a 1973 Plymouth Valiant 4 door

-

ALEX NEILL

Soup Sandwich
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Just bought a 1973 Plymouth Valiant 4 door. It's got a slant 6, and some rust. Well... probably more than just a little rust. Back two rear quarter panels are rusted at the bottom, got some rocker panel rust and looks like a little under the vinyl top. The floor pan is also rotted up at the fornt on the left and right side of the tranny hump.

My goal with this car is to make it a sleeper. Nothing fancy except under the hood and body. I like white walls and hub caps. Bench seats are cool and you can't beat a school bus steering wheel. I'm new to the Mopar experience. Anxious to get involved though. I've been searching the web vigorously for parts and photos so get some ideas. Hoping I can find some expert advice here though.

I'd like to upgrade the motor to a V-8 but right now the priority is get the rust monster under control. Can anyone provide some insight to where I can find new rocker panels, rear quarter panels, and a new floor pan ? Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Also, would a 440 fit in the engine compartment or is it too much ? Perhaps a 360 ?

Thanks,
Alex

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

A 440 will fit right in there. Nice looking car. Good luck with the build. Welcome to FABO! You have come to the right place. Some great people around with a lots of knowledge. Jump on in and have fun.

Welcome !
A four door with a 440 ! That would be one killer sleeper !
Good luck with your project glad to have you here .

Thanks guys.
I'm really excited about this project. The real cool part about it is that the wife is behind me. Took some swindling, and a few hugs and kisses for good measure but I have the boss' support.

Alex

Welcome. I have a yellow 73 almost identical to yours. Some will tell you big block drops right in, wrong. It can be done but do your research and then decide. My quarter bet is on a 360. A host of headaches go with the big block install. Repops of floor pans are out there from single footwell sections to entire pans. You can cut quarter patches from donor doors.
The 1st thing I would do is replace the trunk lid seal and clean the quarters inside. Use some product to stop the rust growth.
The main thing is to have fun. :)

Hey man I don't live to far from ya. I am stationed at Fort Bragg yayaya I know I am Army but still I support all branches, as well as this site. This place is great and they welcome the military with open arms. SO WELCOME to the FABO.:salute: Ignore the left handed salute I can't control that.

DUSTED 72,
How you doing man ? Was just a t Ft. Bragg hanging out with some friends. Saw your link to your photo pages. Saw that Valiant in there. would thise body parts be for sale and do you know if they would be compatible with my 73 ?

Soup Sandwich

Welcome to FABO Alex. As Red said (WoW, that sounds poetic) a 360 is a great fit in the A body. It will give you lots of street power with a minimum of installation headaches as compared to the big block. Good luck.

yah know oldvart, the more I think about it a 360 does sound better. but, out of curiosity, what type of headaches would I possibly endure with dropping in a 440 ? Are there many ? Your pics of the valiant and it's resto are inspiring. wish you lived in NC so i could feed you coffee and keep you in my garage. would you like to be my personal assistant on this operation ? Thanks man !

Soup Sandwich

Actually that car was cut in tiny little pieces and put in my pickup sent to the scrap yard however if you need parts I can take you to a place with about 50 A-bodies sitting. But yes those parts are the same. What do you need I have a really nice rust and dent free hood and trunk. The doors were really really nice but nobody wanted them and I had no place to store them.

-
Back