New guy with slipping clutch

-

1972_scamp

Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm new to the board and unfortunately found the board because of a problem keeping my car off the road.

My daily driver is a 72 scamp with a 225 3-speed, A904 transmission. See picture below of a camping trip I took with my daughter. Dig the carseat in the back. Yes, this is my family car!

I've recently and suddenly experienced major slippage in all gears.

Can you guys give me some ideas of what to look for under the inspection plate to properly diagnose the problem? I know metal shavings, oil, or grease would be problems, but what degree of wear on the disc is acceptable? Will a disc that is worn too far be obvious on sight or are there some sort of wear indicators? I am willing to replace the clutch if necessary, but want to verify that it actually is necessary before doing so.

I replaced a clutch years ago in a Chevy truck so I'm not entirely unexperienced in this area, but again just want to make sure clutch replacement is truly necessary before I take the plunge.

THANKS for any tips! :notworth:
Andy

109[1].jpg

Scamp on a camping trip. Nice. Welcome to the site, i dont know enough about trannys so i wont coment. Someone here will help though.

Bringing the girl up right... and nice and safe in MOPAR steel. Good job.
You threw me off track when you mentioned "changing the clutch", because the A904 is an automatic transmission. Your problem might be the torque convertor or a pump issue. Checked your tranny's fluid level and condition lately?

I, too, am not very much up on transmissions, but someone we be along here shortly who can help you figure it out. Glad to have you (and the daughter) here, regardless of the reason that brought you.

Keep us posted,
Jerry

Thanks guys. I must have stated the transmission wrong. My Scamp is a three-speed manual on the floor transmission. I must have the A904 wrong.

-
Back