New guy

-

Nicholas Murray

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My name is Nicholas and I am actually going to get a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger in a few days. I am brand new to the mechanic world and have never owned a car such as this. I do not know what would be good or bad as far as mechanics go, so I would like some help. This car is what I have been waiting and looking and hoping for for a while now. I wanted to get into a car that would bring a smile to my face everytime I saw it and drove it, a muscle car is what I want. This car to me is looking like a great journey, but I know that older cars require time, money and patience. So my first question is, what should I be looking for as I am driving the car as well as how to tell if it is worth the money?

where would be the major areas of concern for rust, and how can you tell as far as collision damage if the car has been through a repair

Welcome to the site Nicholas . Here's a couple of things to think about and to look for when you go to look at this Dart ? Rear quarters ( above the tires as well as in front and in back of the wheel wells . Lower fenders as well as the very top of the fenders near the hinge area . Drivers side floor pan as well as the torsion bar anchors ( frame area under the front floors ) . You mentioned you wanted something like a muscle car . To me that means two door V8 car . Is it ? If not then you have to think about weather your going to want a 4 door and or a slant six . If it's got a six then are you going to want to build that or do a V8 swap and do you have the money and place to do it . This is just a few thing to look for and think about .

It is a 2 door with a 318, a nice 318. I leave from New Orleans on Friday to go see it, then if all goes well, put it on the trailer and drive back sunday. I am really looking forward to it

Welcome to FABO from NC. Great score on the car and good luck. As you can see by the great advice you have already gotten, this is a fantastic site for Mopar lovers.

-
Back