New Hemi in a 69 Valiant Power Steering?

-

redlinegw

Shannon
Reaction score
Trying to find out why you cant use a factory power steering box with a new gen Hemi install. What hits and where? Any pics out there?

Thanks,

I went through this on my 73' Duster, it hits on the top corner on the box if you're using LX manifolds, the others make more contact I believe, unless you get SRT-8 Jeep headers, and I'm not sure on fitment of those, there are some threads around that have pics of the situation. I believe there was also interference with the aftermarket 5.7L motor mounts.

Simply put, they won't fit. Even the log style Jeep manifolds for a 5.7, which are the tightest exhaust manifolds that will fit in an A-body, it won't fit an A-Body with with power steering. Between the power box being so much larger, and the hoses, there isn't enough room between the exhaust ports and the steering box. This is not an example where you can trim and get creative.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong, please do. Show me pics, I'd love to have power steering, but I am 99.999% sure that power steering with recirculating ball steering just won't fit.

If you are willing and have the cash, you can use a rack and pinion setup like the Alter-K-tion, this would give you power rack and pinion steering. I've HEARD that it is very nice with good on center feel and wonderful handling, though it is pricey. Personally, I feel that if your budget allows it the RMS setup is really slick, and perhaps the best way to install a Gen III hemi into an A-Body. Unfortunately, on my limited budget I am unable to afford it. :(

Regards,

Joe Dokes

You can run the power gearbox, and you can run the Hemi. Just not at the same time. Unless someone invents a " power exhaust steering manifold box"

If you want to run the Hemi and power steering you need to run a really short exhaust system. The bummer part is that you will end up burning valves all the time. And by really short I mean just the exhaust port in the head.

Ok there's my smart *** comments. But I hate to say it if your running the stock k frame your nit getting power steering

I posted a thread on this topic earlier on, unfortunately without any conclusive answer, so I'll chime in on this one as it is now more recent...

Seems Joe and ramit are quite consise on the no go of running any known headers or manifolds together with a power-steering box in an A-body.

Now, my question is: What space is there between the heads (exhaust ports) and the steeing-box? What I'm leading up to is this: Is there any room for custom fabricating a manifold at all?? As power-steering is a defintive requirement for my 71 Swinger, this is the big go- no-go issue for any further HEMI plans...

I can't post a pic from my phone but I could show you how much room there is with the manual box is you want to shoot me a pm with your email address.

The manual box is considerably smaller than the power box. I had tk convert mine to manual. Unfortunately I never tried stuffing the motor in with the power gear box in place.

Boden, thanks for the link to that thread, rthose pics give me some idea at least..

Ramit, PM with e-mail is sent, If you are willing to send me some pirctures, that is very much appreciated! :)

So, with some visual references showing the situation with the manual box, the next question is how can I relate this to the power steering box??

Unfortunately, I've never seen the manual box in real life, does anybodu know how they compare? I.e. are there any parts of the manual and power-box that have similar dimensions??

If I still have my power box. I'll toss the car on the lift and swap them out and send you pics. But my car is over an hour awY from my house, and I wont be back out there unroll the 12th

Got the pics you sent me of the manual box, thanks a lot, those were really great!!

Now, the first thing this tells me, making some assumptions about power-box size vs manual, is that there will be some clearance between the head and the power steering box, but probably not enough to fit much inbetween...

BUT, from what I can see on at least one of the pictures, the exhaust ports seems to sit well above the box. Now that opens up som posibilities for fabricating a manifold that goes up and above the steering box in stead of down and inbetween the box and the engine, thereafter exiting down somewhere suitable....

Now, these observations are of course only valid if your engine is located in the standard position (I would most likely go for bolting a HEMI to my original 727, from what I've read, this should be possible without relocating the transmission), and that your car compares to my 71 dart in terms of steering box-engine location.

if you are willing to swap in the power steering box for further doccumentation... well what can I say.. that would just be tremendously appreciated and undoubtedly a very valuable piece of information!! :prayer:

Thanks a lot for your kind help so far!! :)

I really like the look of the flaming river box, small fast ratio, what's not to like?

Unfortunately, the two boxes mount completely differently. When I first saw the flaming river chevy box, I thought, "I can make that work." Unfortunately after looking at the way the boxes mount it becomes clear that they are completely just too different.

If you were to try to make the Chevy box work, you'd need to do the following.

1. Cut and notch and box the K-Member to allow the Chevy box to fit down inside the K, at the same time create a mounting pad for the box. The Mopar box mounts perpendicular to the front wheels, while the chevy box mounts parallel.

2. Find a Chevrolet pitman arm that is the same length as the mopar pitman arm, with a similar rod end to connect to the steering linkage. Otherwise you'll need to take a Mopar pitman arm, weld up the hole where it connects to the steering box, and have a machinist cut a new hole that will fit the chevy box.

3. Create, a coupler to connect the chevy box, to your mopar steering column.

Now there are guys on this website that could do that level of fabrication, unfortunately I am not one of them. :(

Regards,

Joe Dokes

-
Back