New Here --- Also a roll cage question

-

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
First I want to say hi.. My car is a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger, Originally slant6 but now 318, TCI Trans, Edelbrock intake, Headers and other stuff... I just purchased the car and have not even seen it in person yet as it is on its way from Colorado, however, I will post more pics when I get it. The question that i have is this. Or you can visit my pics page at Pics Page

The car currently has corbeau racing buckets and harness' in it. I want to keep the buckets becuase this will be a street/strip car and eventually strip only. However the current harness setup goes to the rear seats, making the back seat non-functional, so what I want to do is install a small (probably 4point) cage to attach the harness' BUT still have the rear seats accessible for the rare occations that I may need them to haul someone around. Is this possible? I have seen many cages, but most of them either have no midline brace or the middle brace goes right behind the driver/passenger seat making it almost impossible to get in. If anyone has any pics of their current cage setup, it would help a bunch. I would like to buy not build, as welding is the one thing I don't do.

Thanks a bunch, and trust me, you will see me quite often from now on. Glad I found you guys.

Welcome aboard. That's a nice looking Swinger you have there. I can't be of any assistance with your cage since I've never built one nor owner a car with one installed. I'm sure some of the cage(y) fellows will help you out. :)

I have seen the seat braces installed with clevice ends so the brace is removable for street use. Just like the side bars.

Welcome. Nice Dart.

Those 4-point harnesses are probably not DOT compliant. I can't really tell how they are anchored, but I doubt they would pass a tech inspection. It looks like the anchor point is way down low... very dangerous. That could break a collar bone or perhaps even compress your spine in a collision. I wouldn't use them! Take them out and get some regular lap/shoulder belts.

welcome to the site Intense-Dakota. nice car. mines the same color except black vinyl roof and no white stripe. recognize your name from dakotausa. you'll find this sight full of info and really good people. good luck with her

welcome to a great site... the proper anchor point for the harness is the mid bar that you want to leave out.....i think a pair of lap belts will get you by the local laws, better check tho as i am not from your area, as for the track ,lap belts are ok for 11.50 and slower, that is also the point that a cage is required, maybe you can get away with the lap belts for awhile, untill you make it a track only car, if you do put in a cage of any kind make sure the car has the frame connectors in place first. the roll bar usually welds to the frame connectors. you are going to need the frame connectors as soon as you start running the car at the track if it doesnt all ready have them.... good luck

since I have never installed a cage yet in a care (all I have raced is trucks so far), we would one get the frame mounts from and how are they installed. Thanks.... PICS would be great

all roll bars-cages have to be welded in if you dont want to learn how to weld you are going have to find a local chassis shop to do it for you, you can ask around at your local drag strip for places in your area that do this kind of work....but if your going to get into these old cars ,learning to weld may not be a bad idea, a mig welder can be had for under 500$$. and run on 110 volts..they are pretty easy to use...just something to consider....

If you intend to race it at any NHRA tracks you'd better get a rule book and make your local division tech inspector your best friend, I do not believe that a removable midline bar is legal. No such thing as a bolt in roll bar so you best find a chasis shop. I do install roll bars, cages, build race cars (door slammers and rails), but I am up here in the Dakota's, probably to far away for you.

-
Back