New idea, My No-Car resto.

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Ok as some of you know I recently sold my project Duster and am now Moparless. But do not fear as I have a new plan. I have a few parts that I have been hanging onto for that next special car. I am going to start looking hot and heavy for a car in October when I get my reenlistment bonus. I will be looking for a 68-70 Body wagon =P~ maybe as new as a 71-73 and as far back as 66. But the car will ahve to be nice and the right price for me to buy outside of 68-70. I have found a couple within my alotted budget and when the time comes I will ship if need be. I hae found a really nice 70 Coronet through a member here and a fairly clean 68 Satellite about 10 minutes from my house but the guy says he won't sell, but money talks so we'll see. So my plan is to restore all common gerenic type parts, things that will work in a variety of Mopar cars. I will be starting with my 318/904 that I have from my 74 Valiant parts car. Here is what I had to start with.

Good idea have everything ready,why wait.

This is a really sweet way to go about it. You won't be tempted to rush (as long as you don't have the car to plunk it into). And when you get the car, things will move more rapidly.

I got my Rallys before I got the Duster, because I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to end up with, and the wheels were cheap and local (thanks Davescuda).

Ok here are some from todays cleaning attempt. Came pretty clean but will need a couple more tries before I even try to paint it plus I want to replace all seals and gaskets plus accessories. Problems to insue.

Ok I am glad I started to take it apart as I have found some stuff that worries me. Ok first thing is I had already removed the fuel pump so I had to stuff some rags in there to keep water out. Are the timing chain gears plastic? Because mine is missing several teeth. Ok next problem was taking intake off and realized the kickdown linkage was broke, it is fixable with a little welding skill but I have no welder, no biggie right now. Next problem alot bigger then the first 2. I took the intake off and it smelled horrible so once it was off there is alot of sludge buildup. The pushrods are partially covered in it and the cam looks like it is worn out. After all that I thought I would try to make myself feel better by putting my aluminum Edelbrock intake and Holley 600 on it and the intake wont seat all the way. It hits the valve covers, do they need to be clearanced? Obviously I will have to put the intake on first but it still looks like it will hit. Here are a few pics.

Yes, the OE timing set is a type of plastic known as "Phenolic." It's typical for these to fail, but you caught it in time. I have yet to look at mine, but when I get to the stage you are now, I'm going to check. My car has 72,000 miles, but the water pump was done at some point. If I had done it, I would have done the timing set at the same time, but some might leave it to save the $40 or so bucks. If there is a tight roller chain in there, it will stay. Phenolic will be replaced regardless of condition.

Looking really good with all the grime removed. I'm getting motivated myself!

Yeah I "light duty timing set is $22 and a double is $39? I think I checked already today. What can I do about the grime inside?

Are you going to rebuild this 318 engine ? My friend I seen today has a complete set of new 30 over pistons Cam gaskets and more and has no need for it, I bet I could get it all for pennies on the dollar, Let me know and I can call him and see what he will take for it. and I can bring the boxes home and take pictures and show you all the part numbers.:happy10:
I would love to have a 70 plymouth or dodge wagon
Good luck on your search dusted72 :cheers:

I hadn't planned on a rebuild just yet but I may have to. I was hoping to get this one running and use it to get whatever I buy running then I was gonna build something else and I may still do that dont know though.

I might leave the grime (clean or replace the pushrods, though). I'm more concerned about what is under the valve covers.

But to answer your question: Remove the valve covers and pan. It sounds like you want to change the cam anyhow, so maybe pull the pushrods at this point. Now Gunk that motor with the covers off, just as if you were gunking it assembled. Alternately, you can use Kerosene. I might let it soak for several hours, then scrub everything with a good stiff brush. This is a lot easier to do on an engine stand, and without the trans, obviously. You might have to do this more than once. If you have a pressure washer, you can use it to rinse. Be certain to blow it dry with compressed air, then spray it down with WD40 to prevent flash rusting. Rinse it REALLY good so none of those pieces of carbon are left behind.

This works, and I have done it. I used powdered Tide detergent mixed with water, but I think Kero or Gunk would be better given the carbon.

You are probably going to want to change the valve stem seals. This will give you the chance to clean the valve springs really good.

Nothing wrong with a 318.

I don't have a title, but I'm in NC. Intrested in a '74 RR to put your mill in ??

Hey. Did' not think it would to ask lol..

Ok I may have to try that, thanks Blackbomber.

As far as the Roadrunner not really interested in it. I want the wagon so it can be justified as still able to haul the family comfortably.

Ok so a little more progress today. I got the timing cover off and yuck, man am I glad I saw those teeth missing. Timing chain is stretched a little to much for use. Also you can see the teeth messed up and the brackets I started cleaning and painting.

In the past I've used seafoam additive that I've put in a spray bottle and also applied with a stiff bristle brush to the lifter valley then sprayed it clean with a can of citri clean then I pored E.O.S.on the cam before restarting,if you're not changing the cam make sure you clean all the carbon off the lifter faces and don't mix up the lifters to the lobes.You will also need to look at a new oil pump as yours probably is pretty bad inside.

I know that engine and I am surprised it came that clean. Dusted Hope things are going well. I l keep my eyes open for a wagon for you around here

Keepd you busy and paves the road for the next project car.

Awesome idea! I'll be doing much the same once my blasting cabinet is finshed.

-
Back