New in box 318?

-

73VAswngr

Reaction score
Need your thoughts. I just got this "new in box" 318 out of a lady's shed for $250. After getting it home and out of the oily bag I'm starting to wonder if it was new or not. My neighbor looked at it and said he could see left over gasket where there used to be heads. The black stuff on the pistons comes off pretty easily and doesn't smell like it's burnt... Thoughts?

IMG_1808_2_1.jpg

IMG_1809_1_1.jpg

IMG_1810_3_1.jpg

IMG_1811_4_1.jpg

It's really hard to tell from the pics but, It looks like it definately had some heads on it and maybe has been fired up for a short time. Maybe someone bolted on heads to test fire the engine? Looks like the cam bearings are new or almost new. It also looks like the bores still have the cross hatching in them. the block looks very clean . I don't think someone would go through all the trouble of cleaning up the block that good just to sell it for 250. Have you pulled the pan and taken a look at the inside? Also looks like the crank hasn't had a balancer on it. Do the flat top pistons come up to zero deck or are they down in the whole? Nevermind I see that the pan is off:) The crank looks like it is fairly new also, How does the oil screen and pump look? Is it clean? That may be some kind of coating on the pistons that just got old......I am no expert and I'm sure someone here know better.

Looks like spray paint on the top of the pistons. Doesn't appear to of been run for long, but I'd pull it down and check everything, especially oil plug related spots.

It's definitely had heads on it at one time. Maybe it was a new long block and someone pulled the heads??

not sure how to see the oil screen and pump. I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars... I shined the light down inside and it looked new to me. I also stuck my head under it while it was on the hoist (awesome excuse to get my first hoist and engine stand) and the crank shaft looked new to me. I'm not sure how to put it on the stand...

Carbon on the piston tops could've been from a test run at the rebuilders. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the cross hatch is gone too. It's a coin toss.

I'd guess it was run broken in and then the heads pulled. The carbon on top of the pistons looks very light for having been run. Is there a ridge at the top of the cylinders ?

I'd carefully pull it apart and inspect it to see the overall condition - check the bearing clearances etc., check the oil pump, pull the pistons and inspect the rings - if its good then put it back together and run it - reuse the bearings and rings etc if they're good !

If you dont know what to look for - find someone that does and have them help you for an afternoon or two to check it out.

-
Back