New k frame steering column not far enough on

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
I put a new k frame on this car going from a slant six to v8 different manual steering box which was already on it, and now that everything is already attached The steering column isn’t going on far enough to have the pin fit in it

image.jpg

Does the coupler (the part your hand is on in the picture) slide back and fourth? It should but over the years the grease become hard and they freeze up. The box splines loot rusty, might hit them with a wire brush and lube it up. Cleaning the inside of the splines can't hurt either.

Does the coupler (the part your hand is on in the picture) slide back and fourth? It should but over the years the grease become hard and they freeze up. The box splines loot rusty, might hit them with a wire brush and lube it up. Cleaning the inside of the splines can't hurt either.
Oh lol i didn’t even realize it was supposed to just felt like some rubber in it that let it move around a bit I’ll see what I can do as far as loosening it up a bit more

Oh lol i didn’t even realize it was supposed to just felt like some rubber in it that let it move around a bit I’ll see what I can do as far as loosening it up a bit more

You can pop off the top and take it apart. You can get a rebuild kit for it too. Some drill and put a Zerk fitting in so you can grease it from time to time.

Just to be sure, the column is from a manual steering car? Power and Manual have different splines but the power column is shorter, but if the slider pins in the column a sheared it might slide down far enough to get that close.

Also to add:

If you hammered the column toward the dash or the car was at one time hit, some of the columns can collapse and give the same effect. I’m not sure of the year make and model of your ride.

-
Back