New LED tail lights 69 Cuda

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. NQ, time to take your own advice!

Just to recap, FMVSS 108 sets a standard, traceable to the NHTSB. Compliance is required for vehicles to be allowed to operate on public roads. Compliance is granted by inspection by accredited facilities. Exceptional performance is not a substitute for compliance.

If you care to disagree, please take it up with the NHTSB, I'm sure they will gladly hand you your buttocks.

Tail lights are self-certified by the manufacturer. They do not need to be inspected by an accredited facility.

Recapping doesn't help if your understanding of FMVSS108 is incorrect.

Tail lights are self-certified by the manufacturer. They do not need to be inspected by an accredited facility.

Recapping doesn't help if your understanding of FMVSS108 is incorrect.

Please read the links I posted in message #176.

I won't argue against that a manufacturer cannot self certify, but I think that for a low volume manufacturer, it would be extremely cost prohibitive to do so.

I believe it has already been discussed and accepted that a company like Calcoast may do this type of work to satisfaction of all interested parties.

Mr NQ, as for understanding of the issue, you have clearly demonstrated that you have none. Your attempt to spread disinformation is contrary to the interests of the hobby. I hope that when you return to your home planet you spread the message that invasion of earth is impractical due to red tape.

Please read the links I posted in message #176.

I won't argue against that a manufacturer cannot self certify, but I think that for a low volume manufacturer, it would be extremely cost prohibitive to do so.

I believe it has already been discussed and accepted that a company like Calcoast may do this type of work to satisfaction of all interested parties.

Mr NQ, as for understanding of the issue, you have clearly demonstrated that you have none. Your attempt to spread disinformation is contrary to the interests of the hobby. I hope that when you return to your home planet you spread the message that invasion of earth is impractical due to red tape.

What your referring to are the requirements for headlamps. They are not exactly the same as tail light.

What your referring to are the requirements for headlamps. They are not exactly the same as tail light.

182 PDF pages of the complete text of FMVSS 108 and that's what you get from it?

You didn't read anything, did you?

I rest my case. I'm outta here.

182 PDF pages of the complete text of FMVSS 108 and that's what you get from it?

You didn't read anything, did you?

I rest my case. I'm outta here.

I was referring to your comment that “Compliance is granted by inspection by accredited facilities.”

As the article I posted in post#157 says “Compliance with NHTSA regulations is based on self-certification by the manufacturer.”

Now, if you need help understanding the larger words in that sentence, for instance the word self, try using Google.

BOYS BOYS BOYS..... not a recap , worked for an R&D facility in Farmington Hills , MI for a few years. specifically from 92 to 96. They were doing research on LED lighting ( I know because my team did the programming for the test gathering computers ) At last count they had built 186 "models" the reason for all the models is as Dan has specified. light output is measured at like 50 different angles and at least 100 different distances in each of those angles. The first 50 of the models tested appeared FAR better than their 1157 counterparts and from a brightness perspective they were certainly brighter! THAT was the reason they were in the discard pile....THEY WERE TOO BRIGHT!! YES!! this can be the case!! TOO BRIGHT is almost as bad as not bright enough!! The standards HAVE, IN PLACE, MINIMUMS...AND MAXIMUMS! Failure to meet MINIMUM or EXCEEDING MAXIMUM opens YOU and the MANUFACTURER to potential litigation PERIOD!! NOT what you want to be NOT what YOU feel is reasonable NOT what does not fit in your opinions...... LAW!!! Below MIN or above MAX, means something like the other drunk assed fall asleep at the wheel idiot that HIT you CAN CLAIM HE DIDN'T SEE YOU if the lawyers discover something OTHER THAN VALIDLY APPROVED FIXTURES, BULBS, LENSES ALL IN WORKING PROPERLY FUNCTIONAL AND ADHERING TO THE LETTER OF THE LAW!!! IF THEY CAN PROVE YOU HAD UNAPPROVED LIGHTING, IT DOES NOT MATTER IF HE WAS DEAD...... YOUR EQUIPMENT WAS/IS FAULTY AND THEY WILL 100% of the time rule in his favor...PERIOD!!!! Happens all the time the last one was Toyota with the supposedly faulty accelerator cable..... Toyota forked out MILLIONS not only for the recall but for the damages!!!
WITHOUT PROPER INDEPENDENT TESTING AND APPROVAL YOU LOSE - Auto companies spend billions in legal fees trying to sidestep faulty equipment..... not one case that I have ever heard ruled in their favor since Ralph Nader went after GM for the Corvair!!!
SORRY BOYS you can blast away all you want and blow as much smoke as you like ....your car has faulty ANYTHING, you will lose..... your car has aftermarket marked as "OFF ROAD ONLY" stuff....you will lose...and NOT just the car.... you can be sued for every penny you have made and every penny you might make and a basket of $$ for good measure!!! THE FACT IS you have anything BUT APPROVED EQUIPMENT ON YOUR RIDE AND THEY "discover it" YOU WILL LOSE!! That is IT! the judge does not care WHAT YOU THINK, The Jury DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK..... YOU TOOK A RISK and SOMEONE GOT HURT.... period!!!! THIS IS NOT AN OPINION PANEL, this is LAW!!
This is NOT open for discussion....it is the LAW!!! I am really sorry that you guys don't believe it or like it....and as Americans you are FREE TO TAKE ANY RISK THAT YOU CHOOSE TO TAKE....no one will bother to stop you because THEY DON'T CARE!!! You desire to be stubborn and NOT believe ..... GO FOR IT!! By the way...if ANY of the classic insurance companies also discover what you are doing they will drop you like a hot penny!!! Because THEY do not want to absorb YOUR RISK!! it isn't worth it to them, the potential for loss is too great.

ALL that being said.... the spaghetti lights look like they might just pass without much tweaking.....and for nominal cost for the independent test. YES you don't have to have one....but if accident or incident happens you can BET YOUR BIPPY THEY WILL BE DOING THOSE TESTS OVER & OVER & OVER IN THE HOPE THAT THE PRODUCT FAILS....BECAUSE IF IT DOES..... they WIN you LOSE...that quick and that simple. There is NO CAP on awards for this and YES IT CAN SPELL FINANCIAL RUIN AND HAS for several companies in and around Detroit for the last 50+ years!!!!
The LED lights are cool as hell, I despise 1157's they are downright DULL in comparison....the LED 1157 replacements are insufficient and I know of at least three people here in Michigan that were pulled over and ticketed for using them, by the Michigan State Police, By the Macomb county Sheriff and the Oakland county Sheriff....
Someone said it earlier this is a CYA world and the folks at Nissan R&D took those lighting measurements VERY SERIOUSLY at 100 x 50 check points any of them failed the whole model failed and went into the fail heap....at about 10k for prototyping each model and ONE test failure scrapped that model..... I am thinkin Dan may have assisted/alerted everyone in averting a fairly large litigation and Expense torpedo!
There are RULES, they are specific and the manufacturer is "responsible " for adherence. Legally no one care's if you test or not...that is up to you, if you take the risk and they don't adhere....YOU are liable!! in plain english that is the message you can perform the semantic gymnastic dance until your lil legs fall off AINT CHANGING A THING, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE....thats the message that is the LAW.
if that pisses you off or does not fit into your belief system or just makes you boil...too bad!! NO BS mouth runnin gyrations are gettin you off the hook...YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE PLAIN & SIMPLE..... you take the risk YOU OWN IT!! NOTHING may happen as a result...or you could lose everything and even spend some time in the can!!! YOU also own the CHOICE!! I get that...so does Dan.... likely neither of us is ever going to sidestep that just to put LED's in our cars....we are not going to take that RISK with you guys that believe the risk to be small and "worth it" and we are likely NOT ever going to see things your way unless of course the LAWS change, which in the next 12 months is unlikely. Dan wants a set I am certain...I would like a set for my 66, in fact I built a set and tried my own testing with a stupid photographers light meter....they failed miserably against the 1157's! and I had about 40 leds...bright as hell in a two foot circle DIRECTLY behind the car...a foot to either side 80% light loss!!!! 80%!!!! they got trashed and the 1157's put back.
I would LOVE a set.... instant on....longevity.....higher lumens all the good stuff...but if they leave a "blind spot" or in one area do not meet the standards....I am no way willing to take that risk with all the blood sweat & tears that go into each of my builds and I am not about to set my home and everything I own on the chopping block because someone says "trust me"..... you guys can do what you like!! I have seen what the pro's do and I know what can be lost in a courtroom if ALL your ducks aren't in a row as a manufacturer AND as a CONSUMER!!
Honestly Spagetti...your stuff is way cool and looks to be effin close as it gets ...but we all know in the court room close is only good for hand grenades and horseshoes and maybe shotguns..... Dan is pretty accurate if the cost is 500 to 100 and can be easily spread over 50 to 100 pairs thats an additional 10 bucks per....
WHat Dan didnt mention ( or maybe he did and I missed it) is that testing needs to be done for each MODEL you produce...unless the specs are exactly the same re size number of low & high lights, angles etc etc..... brightness in sunlight /darkness min & max requirements etc etc etc .... I can tell you without doubt the Detroit auto companies and the suppliers here take these requirements very seriously.

no slams no insults no attacks no nothing but what I have witnessed with my own eyes & ears.... this is not a swipe nor a swing....just sharing of info I think you have a helluva product...I think you spent a boatload of time doing the "construction " R & D and you have one sa-weet prototype!!! Take it to the next level and validate that it adheres to what the GUBMENT SEZ IT PODA DO and you got the better mousetrap!!!
Like Dan I think you guys are fricken CLOSE........ if it hits the mark or really close it is likely only millimeters away.....for a lousy $1000 ( if that) why not get the SEAL? once you have the FORMULA it can be applied to many diff models with a much higher incidence of success and meeting the requirements for that model as well...... you have a bitchen lead ona start-up that most everyone I know would love to see you get off the ground!!! and start mass producing APPROVED LED replacement fixtures for just about anything!!!

just sayin

and for all you chest pounding saber rattling 9 year olds who dont believe this is as important as it is......spend a few hours in a court room listening to class actions against a manufacturer..... HELL listen to the suits against small repair shops that took a car in for an OIL CHANGE and handed it back to the customer oil change complete...only to discover when SERVED the subpoena that the car had bad brakes and they are liable for handing it back inoperable!!! true story!!! happens everyday!! the concerns are REAL the requirements are REAL the judgements are REAL and the LOSS IS REAL, which part of this confuses you?

my 2+ cents

Of course the real reason for the collision was because the other guy wasn't paying attention. A car can stop in a lane of traffic, turn it off, completely dark and 100 cars will avoid hitting it. then somebody will hit it and of course it's not their fault they were doing something else with their time then paying attention to what is in in front of them.
What pisses me off about this whole thread is how this one issue is the only thing some people attack, and there is no safety reason here! I don't see any gripes about big power and 40 year old suspensions, window tint, fat rear tires, and skinny fronts, no impact absorbing bumpers, no abs, poor visibility out c pillars, noise levels, and on and on and on... This how do you know it's better if you didn't send it out to an independent lab is wrong too. How do you know your disc brake swap is better? Did you send your car off to an independent lab? Maybe your brakes are TOO good now, and your quick stopping ability is a danger to those behind you. It's silly. If you want buy the lights, buy them, if you don't want them then, don't, but please stop trying to be our nannies! At least be consistent and constantly post all of your same nanny bitches in all the other threads here. Better yet, maybe make a your car and lifestyle available for review so we can pick your world apart with a fine tooth comb.

HEY HERS nice HIJACK!!! I think your nanny should have spent far more time smackin the senselessness out of YOU!! The choice was and has been yours to make...our position was to let you know of the risks you take when you make choices like that!! I am certain you missed all of that because you were too busy trying to figure out how to tell us we were being "your nanny"....trust me country boy If I was your nanny your life would be a WHOLE lot different, than the "I just like to say the same idiotic crap all over again and hear myself call these guys Nannys cuz I think its funny" waterhead crap that just puked out of your mouth. There are labs for Brakes and suspension and tires and electrical... BUT the TOPIC HERE is lighting...specifically BRAKE lighting so stay on topic or go play HIDE & GO FK YOURSELF!!! I worked in R&D did you? Dan is a mechanic and an engineer...what exactly are your quals? do you even have a single clue what is being talked about??? SAFTEY?!?!?! BRAKE LIGHTS ARE SAFETY ITEMS AND HAVE BEEN THE SUBJECT OF THOUSANDS OF LAWSUITS!!! SEVERAL OF WHICH I HAVE HAD TO TESTIFY ABOUT.... ALSO those crappy chromed & blacked out lights that are being sold all over ebay...that say OFF ROAD USE ONLY...does not releive you of burden...YOU are still responsible...someone hits you and their lawyer blames it on the fact that you could not be seen due to inadequate lighting....YOU LOSE the suit!!!
Your point about tires and suspension is flat lined lame at its zenith and is in the completely wrong thread....BY the way being with a hooker is illegal in most states! ...you can still get one in most any hotel in most any state( as I am certain you are aware) but IF you get caught WITH said hooker due to an accidental hotel fire....your picture will be in all the local newspapers and you will be exposed for taking a senseless risk...and that is all Dan is saying really and that is all I am saying...albeit I am certain by your non synapse firing reply that you never made it that far!
Both of us have said repeatedly BUY em if you choose...its your effin money BUT...as long standing club members we just wanted to make certain everyone was aware of the RISKS including the manufacturer...and if they complied I am fairly certain both Dan and I would purchase a set! and if someone gets hurt I would hate to see a fellow FABO member have to go thru that level of litigation cuz it aint pretty and it aint cheap!!
FACT: anti lock brakes were and still are a safety concern for those that do not have them as yet...for exactly the reason that YOU mentioned...and NO its NOT SILLY its very very REAL and currently still a number 3 insurance unmitigated RISK factor in automotive underwriting.
You are correct BUY them if you choose, neither of us has ever said DON'T ( missed that too huh???) As for My NannyBitch being consistent, you still have your lil Nanny outfit don't you? and you still like it hot hard & nasty...right Nanny??? .... so my nanny ***** is CONSISTENT isn't she!! or better yet AREN'T YOU?
NOW about that "lifestyle" crack what in the name of Satans BALLSACK does THAT have to do with ANYTHING discussed here??? Are you Changing YOUR lifestyle?? and just want us all to know about it? so fess up are you coming OUT? OR was that some pathetic attempt at being cruel? Dans life has been splayed all over this site for quite a few years as has mine, we follow different paths but that does not make him any less or me any less...Dan is a damn fine mechanic/engineer and he has proved that repeatedly to many people on this site....because you weren't around to try and pick at it with your very own crabcomb are you now jealous? or do you feel life has passed you by and you didn't get a turn reaching for the brass ring?? Don't you fret none sonnyboy NannyBitch Daddy gonna hook you up!! LMFAO!! Now tell me again EXACTLY what you meant with that CAR & LIFESTYLE crack! My car is and has been availble for "review" in fact it was viewed and revied at the 2011 Detroit Autorama and took a second place trophy 6 weeks later it took a first place trophy at a rather large Suburban Detroit show.......and numerous folks on this site have seen it and seen me....and God knows heard me ( prolly more than they wanted to ( aint that right Rumble/>) so WAT YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS??
Long & short unapproved lighting on your car, accident happens YOU and the manufacturer get POPPED and you do not collect any insurance because they drop you like a hot penny.... either way YOU LOSE.. was that SLOW enough and clear enough for you?..... if you read it several times it MAY dawn on you that NO one is telling ANYONE NOT TO BUY ANYTHING!! Effin buy them if you choose!! I happen to respect anyone that grabs the bull by the horns and develops a new product.... I just said HEY why not get approved? AND I said I would not be buying anything that wasnt approved...MUCH as I would like to have a set for my 66....I am not willing to risk HER or my house or my bank accounts should the unforeseen misfortune of a potentially life threatening accident occur with lawsuits erupting out from it like a freeking volcano...just do not need the grief
HOW do automakers KNOW their lights are better than the aftermarket cheesy chineesy stuff?? because they have labs to test their prototypes and ensure adherence. Then they have it validated by an independent lab for OBVIOUS reasons.... Epstein will not be in class today signed Epstiens' Mother
In the labs I supported they had a rather large room ( kinda like a paint booth only about 5 times the size) they measured everything in there from exhaust noises that were desired to wind flow to lighting and when they did lights it took an entire week to set the room up with the proper lighting in order to measure the quantity and distance of light coming from the vehicle's tail lights headlights turn signals and interior lighting. over 5000 light sensing devices were p[laces at strategic spots within the booth and according to SPECS in order to measure 5000 different points of where Brake LIGHT is REQUIRED TO seen...this was NOT done as a courtesy nor was it done for the halibut...it was done because it was that automakers RESPONSIBILITY to make certain their product was in compliance and obtain independant confirmation of same to both ensure the drivers that they cars to are not going to become hurt and therefor NO longer be valued Customers and because they were mitigating risk against being needlessly sued for millionsfor a boo boo that is going to be their fault exclusively if not tandeml with the driver of the other car that had a for product that was a lil more than a lil modified. The millions of dollar sensors and the equipment to track that, combined are well over a million dollars in expense... they would not spend that much money tooling the car itself!!
AND YES 5000 sensors will capture the emitted light and compare it to the requirements...so tell me countryboy DO ya REALLY think a company like Nissan is gonna spend all that $$ if it wasn't WELL WORTH IT?? think about it and don't take anymore swipes at me or Dan...you dont have enough GREY and you really dont matter...huh huh get it???? grey Matter??? hu huh huh
How do you know its better" who cares if it is " better" ...all we are saying is it HAS to meet the government requirements both min & max or doesn't your attention span allow you to read for that long???

ya all are getting way carried away....im locking this down....go outside and get fresh air.

-RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back