New member from Sweden

-

Nidhögg

Reaction score
Hello!
New member here, have some questions for my new car and thought I´d look up a decent-looking Mopar forum, so, here I am :)

So, the story behind this car is that it´s not really new in the family.
It belonged to my dad who purchased it before me and my sister was born, and when we came along my mom refused to let him drive us in the car with no seatbelts.
So he parked it in a garage "until he could install seatbelts" and bought a Plymouth Valiant instead, and it´s been sitting in the same garage now since 1991.
And when I recently bought a house with my gf and 2 year old daughter I decided to get it up and running again.
Lucky for me the house we bought was 1400 ft² with a 2000 ft² garage :D

The car is a Dodge Dart GT 1968, originally with an 273, auto, with brake discs in front and servo brakes and steering.
The engine is in the Plymouth also parked at the lot in the same location as the Dart, but has been sitting outside for a good 10-15 years :/
So, I will probably haul the engine and tranny just to keep it for matching numbers, but I have an 340 -73 engine with a 727 tranny thats going into the Dodge.

Since the car was in working condition when parked (engine was transfered to the Plymouth when it´s engine seized), it was no problem rolling it onto a transport.
What I will do next is look into the engine and tranny and see how it looks.
It apparently worked great when taken out from it´s previous car (think it was in a ´cuda -68?), but it´s been sitting for some 5-10 years so I´m gonna pick it apart and see if anything needs to be done.
Also, the Dart is missing a brake caliper and main brake cylinder, which is also in the Plymouth and something I will not bother with even trying to get loose.
Other than that the car is in great condition, since its been parked inside for the last 22 years theres not much rust on it, just need a lite grease and oil and it´s good to go.

So, that´s about it, my goal is to get it in working condition by our annual 1st May car cortege here in my hometown, where classic US cars from all over Sweden meet up and parade down the streets.
The car in the back is my dads DeSoto, and a friends Volvo 140.
He also has a Chevrolet Caprice (not in my garage), but I have two BMW´s also in the garage so I´ve managed to make good use of the space already :D

LS4HKEm.png

Wow!!! Nice little stable of cars you have there!! Welcome to FABO, the best Mopar site in the whole dang world!! Geof

Welcome.Nice car collection, your family has started.

My family came here from Sweden back in the late 1800's. My great uncle traveled to Sweden and tracked one branch of our family tree back to a Knut Nilsson in the mid 1600's but wouldn't you know it, once the family got to the USA, we picked up a Finn in the family tree. The elders in the family back in Duluth and up on the UP don't like to talk about that...

Thanks for the great welcome!
Been away for a while looking for exactly what stuff I need to order to get the car up and running again, but hopefully I can post some info about the progress soon.
Right now the car is jacked up, and I have removed the leaf springs and rear axle, and opened up the drum brakes to see which parts need replacing.

-
Back