New member here... 1965 barracuda.

-

Bruce Leee

Reaction score
New member here. Just got a 1965 barracuda. Time to get the minor items fixed on it.

20170803_105130.jpg

Tell me more about this AC? I can't seem to find anything like it. Is it factory AC? or an add on?

The first picture of the engine bay shows the A/C compressor on top. It doesn't look like there is a belt on it though. Someone may have disabled it to save power...or there's something wrong with it such as the compressor is bad or freon lines leaking.

I was told it needs a new compressor... I have not got into that far yet... Minor leaks first, inside lights etc. Belt is indeed off. They said it was locking up so they took the belt off.

The first picture of the engine bay shows the A/C compressor on top. It doesn't look like there is a belt on it though. Someone may have disabled it to save power...or there's something wrong with it such as the compressor is bad or freon lines leaking.

I was told it needs a new compressor... I have not got into that far yet... Minor leaks first, inside lights etc. Belt is indeed off. They said it was locking up so they took the belt off.

That looks like the dealer installed A/C compressor, not the factory one...

Oh...I love getting a new car and going through it little by little to get it up and going well. :thumbsup:

Then...about the time you think you got it all - something else suddenly appears to give you something else to do!!! It's what we love about our hobby!:)

Main Issues right now:
Gas Gauge started reading Empty... was working when I drove it home.
Interior lights not working (Those back seat lights) - They also worked then stopped
Gauge lights not working.
AC Compressor
Few Minor leaks.

Tell me more about this AC? I can't seem to find anything like it. Is it factory AC? or an add on?

That compressor looks like the dealer add-on or an aftermarket add-on unit... You can tell by the boxy shape of the compressor... They could have that added at any dealer, Sears, Montgomery Wards or private shops would do the conversions...

Here are some pictures of what the factory compressor looks like... Someone had the heads chromed, they should be black...

DSC02527 B.JPG

DSC02524 B.JPG

DSC02526 B.JPG

DSC02530 B.JPG

DSC02532 B.JPG

DSC02534 B.JPG

Main Issues right now:
Gas Gauge started reading Empty... was working when I drove it home.

Crawl under it and at the front of the tank there is the sending unit, there should be a metal strap that clips to the nipple on the sendng unit and the other end goes to the fuel line - that is your ground... Make sure it's there and properly clean and connected to metal for conductivity...

Interior lights not working (Those back seat lights) - They also worked then stopped

Start at the fuse block and check for power/voltage coming out and trace it to the guages...

Gauge lights not working.

Start at the fuse block and trace the power/voltage to the guage light feed... Most guage light circuits have orange wire coming from the accessory feed of the fuse block...

AC Compressor

I posted some pictures of the factory style for you above...

Few Minor leaks.

Responses to your questions in red above... ^^^^

I was more meaning the AC unit inside the car.... not the compressor itself.

I was more meaning the AC unit inside the car.... not the compressor itself.

Post up some closer up pictures of the whole A/C vent system and it's controls... Also the heater controls in the top of the dash above it...

That will tell if it was a factory heater only car that was converted after vs factory A/C...

That duct system looks like it's pointing up a little funny, but that's how they would have to get it to fit with the floor shifter... Most of them are installed with the vents horizontally...

So ran into a major issue. The motor tossed a rod. Blew a hole in the block beyond repair. New motor is already purchased. Shame that I lost the original matching numbers motor. Lots of new problems will likely arise.

So ran into a major issue. The motor tossed a rod. Blew a hole in the block beyond repair. New motor is already purchased. Shame that I lost the original matching numbers motor. Lots of new problems will likely arise.
that's too bad. nice car. sometimes on those slants I've seen the fuel pump diaphragm leak into the block and blow a hole in it.

Not sure what happened, but it is done so time to get that new motor in it. I gotta get this new motor cleaned up and painted and the old one out. Another 225 going in.

I don't believe a 1965 Plymouth has any "matching" numbers on the engine anywhere. That started in later years, didn't it? Any block of the same "vintage" circa '64-'65 would put the car back in its original "pseudo" matching numbers condition.

I have a '65 Barracuda Formula S with factory A/C (at least it used to have it). That inside unit does not look like any factory vent servo I have ever seen on a factory equipped car, must be aftermarket like the compressor.

-
Back