New member working on project 1970 Swinger with 15y/o son.

-

recon6975

Reaction score
Recently started work on a 1970 Dart Swinger with my 15 year old son. He bought the car himself last summer and we are now in a full fledged rebuild. The original L6 is at the machine shop and the car has been almost fully taken to bare metal and primed. Hardest part is the search for replacement parts in the price range of a teenager. I am helping some but in order for him to really appreciate what he has I feel it is best he works for he gets. If any body has parts they are willing to part with at a fare price the help would be wonderful. We are looking for a LF fender extender, tail light lenses, black seat belts, and I am sure more to come once we tear into the dash. Also any recommendations on where to get the best replacement parts would be great.

The motor is out now though.

Attachments

• Dart Left.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Dart Right.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 249
  • Dart Motor.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Dart Rear.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 208
I think i may have a tail light or 2 and possibly fender extentions.

What is his plans for the car ?

As of now he plans on it being his daily driver through H.S. We live in a hot area so keeping the AC is a must. Maybe when he gets older and more experience driving a 340 will go in. I have a co-worker that does hot rod interior on the side and will be teaching him how to do his own interior. But, being a /6 and a daily driver he still wants the muscle car look. Bright red with the black stripe, some Crager S/S wheels, if possibly the double scooped hood.

Cool !! and welcome. My son and I are new to the forum as well and working on his '71 Duster. Already started a thread in the restoration section. :)

Welcome Recon. Looking forward to following your build. There are quite a few father/son, or in my case father/daughters, projects in progress here at FABO. Good to know the next generation will be carrying on!

Pat

Really cool project! i like year one for my replacement parts. they seem reasonable with their prices. beaparts.com is OK on prices but i know year one better. summit.com or jegs.com might have some stuff but not sure how much. make sure to find out if a auto yard near you has any parts as well.

Welcome to FABO Reco6975!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Good luck with the project.

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• Chassis Cert 3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 130
That looks like a noce solid project. Not much rust? It is fun workin on a car with tour dad. And its noce ro be able to point at something and say I built that.
Me and my dad are workin on a 1974 dart swinger together and after that a 1973 duster to hopefully be my daily driver in 1 year.

Attachments

• Dart Swinger 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 92
welcome to the site! i got my first car when i was 16. (1970 Dart, slant six!) my dad and i worked on it for a couple years, then i left to the army. now at 25, im back home, with my gf, a baby girl, and ca progress slowed down!! haha, but itll get done! take care!

Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

-
Back