-

1973dartswinger

Reaction score
Hello,
I am from the NY area and am new to this site. I currently own a 1973 dodge dart swinger. I bought about a year ago for $1200 it has 105,00 original miles on the slant six. It has some dents and surface rust. The major rust is the rear quarter and theirs some small holes by the rear window. Also the interior is perfect. My plans for the car are to fix up the body and repaint it all black. Then i want to raise the rear end a bit and put a nice 17' set of black rims with a chrome lip.

Heres a picture of the car when i first bought it:

welcome to the ABody world!!!!

i am super newbie, and mech unsavvey....but these guys here KNOW IT ALL....if they don't they WILL FIND OUT....great informational source...

welcome and enjoy your Swinger!

blind settles into the wagon's back back back seat....like the school bus...
:glasses1:

Welcome to the forum, I've only been here a couple of months myself, seems like a lot longer, great bunch of guys and lots of information :thumbup:

Welcome dartswinger, it's a great place to be. Hope you enjoy :thumbup:

DSCN7522.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, heres a picture of my engine compartment that i cleaned up and gave a fresh paint job to about a month ago:

Wecome 1973dartswinger, this is a great place to hang out for A body info. Do you plane on keeping the /6, cause there is a lot of info here on getting more power from the slant, and a lot of guys that are running them.

Keith Mopar said:
Wecome 1973dartswinger, this is a great place to hang out for A body info. Do you plane on keeping the /6, cause there is a lot of info here on getting more power from the slant, and a lot of guys that are running them.

Yup I plan on keeping the slant six. I am only 17 going on 18 and while I would love to get a 360 magnum or a built 318, its just not reasonable with the gas prices and everyday driving. Also the /6 runs great and I wouldnt mind adding some performance enhancers while keeping good gas mileage. But for now my main focus is changing the shocks, and rear end gasket(i did everything else) getting the body work done, then rims and tires and getting it on the road.
Also a quick question, What would be a good exaust to put on the car to make it sound a little louder while making it not sound like rice at higher rpms, right now the stock exaughst is fine but i wouldnt mind something louder :thumbup:

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome 1973dartswinger.
Mike that sure is a nice car to start with ate your age!!
We have allot of good folk's here that can help you with your exhaust Sound.
Just give them time to get to you. :thumbup:
I like a quite sound !! It let's me sneak in late.
I have been married for 27 years and my wife is a light sleeper. :toothy7:

Slant Sixes do not sound good without muffler, and that is about the only way to get them much louder. IMO go with a 16" wheel and tire combo and try to find a split header for /6 and run duals with good super turbo muffler and you will get a better sound from car. BTW I have 17' on my 71 Demon but wish I woulda went with 16" it would of gave a better ride.

Thanks for the welcomes.

9secsmallblock: would you happen to have a picture of your car? also ill have to look for some of those headers, thanks for the help!

Would Clifford slpit headers be good? i just seen a set on ebay im going to keep my eyes on.

I once read of an old hot rodder's trick for inline 6 engines. They said that if you run dual exhaust you should run 5 cylinders through 1 pipe & the other cylinder through the other pipe. It was said that it made the car sound "like a Stuka Dive bomber." :blob6: Might not be good for performance or peace with the neighbors though. :yawinkle:

[QUOTE='64 Cuda]I once read of an old hot rodder's trick for inline 6 engines. They said that if you run dual exhaust you should run 5 cylinders through 1 pipe & the other cylinder through the other pipe. It was said that it made the car sound "like a Stuka Dive bomber." :blob6: Might not be good for performance or peace with the neighbors though. :yawinkle:[/QUOTE]

hehe i wouldnt want something that loud, I want something with a nice rumble and can still have a normal conversation and hear my radio with out a problem.

Welcome aboard 1973dartswinger. Nice to have some "young blood" mixed in here with us "old farts". Hope you enjoy the site and good luck on your project.

Here ya go, might be hard to see, but it is best pic I've taken with digital camera.
ea8f790d.jpg

This has the 16" wheels in front 225/55/16 firestone wide ovals
rear are 17" wheels with 245/45/17 wide ovals, it handles well but is a prety harsh ride. If I could do over it would have the 16's all the way around cause there ain't a lot of difference in appearance.

Welcome, this is a great place to learn from. Nice looking car cant wait to see your progress...

9sec, i see what you mean of there not being that much of a visual difference. So now I'll have to see if I can find a pair of 16' rims I like in black with a chrome lip.

Also I took this photo off of this forum, because it was closest to what I want my car to be and had it photoshoped(i hope the member dosnt mind) So that I can get a sneek peek at why my car will look like. Just wanted to share it with you guys.

Here it is:

Also I wanted to say that this seems like a kickass forum, its one of the most welcomeing, lots of great info and intellegent guys and I hope to learn alot from here!

1973dartswinger said:
Also I took this photo off of this forum, because it was closest to what I want my car to be and had it photoshoped(i hope the member dosnt mind) So that I can get a sneek peek at why my car will look like. Just wanted to share it with you guys.

Here it is:

Welcome aboard. Nothing like a place with as many overall/combined years of expierence in the A body hoby, as this place has.

Not to burst your bubble, but unless you are planning on replacing the entire front clip (fenders, bumper, valence, hood, and whatever else) your not going to be able to make it "Look like that" because "THAT" looks like a 69 or older and yours is a 73. Ambitious none the less. I hope you have many many years of enjoyment from yours, as we all have had.

Here is mine
vbgarage.php

krabysniper said:
Welcome aboard. Nothing like a place with as many overall/combined years of expierence in the A body hoby, as this place has.

Not to burst your bubble, but unless you are planning on replacing the entire front clip (fenders, bumper, valence, hood, and whatever else) your not going to be able to make it "Look like that" because "THAT" looks like a 69 or older and yours is a 73. Ambitious none the less. I hope you have many many years of enjoyment from yours, as we all have had.

Here is mine
vbgarage.php

Well yes, I am well aware of this. But I mean that I will be looking to have the same paint/wheels tires(probably just alittle smaller) and stance. I didn't mean exactly the same but I ment simialr to that photochop. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW Nice cars for all those who have posted them.

ANd to the question on how to post a picture of a car w.o the link if you go to Imageshack.us then upload the picture there, then copy the hotlink to fourms code then paste it into your post the picture should pop up ;-)

Oh and I wouldn't think of changing the front clip and everythign, I <3 my pointy nose :)

also heres another way to post pictures
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=3540

Welcome aboard 1973swinger enjoy the site, the knowledge on this iste is second to none ot has helped me a ton. Love those rims whare are they from. I am building a 70 swinger myself might check these out for mine!!

70dart said:
Welcome aboard 1973swinger enjoy the site, the knowledge on this iste is second to none ot has helped me a ton. Love those rims whare are they from. I am building a 70 swinger myself might check these out for mine!!

Well, I'm not positive on what the extact rims are. But they kinda look like boyd's smoothies to me
Smoothie_II_5.jpg

For my car i was thinking about going with something along these:

ACFB325.jpg

Also, a quick question. If I were to go with clifford split headers with a 2 and 1/4th" pipe with dual 3 chamber mufflers would this give me a deeper tone with out the car sounding like rice? I know there web site says it will give it a "throaty muscle car sound" but I just wanted to get some imput from real people and not the company trying to sell the product :p.

Mike

-
Back