New modified oil slinger

-
Guess if you want to use one, this one will not get gouged out by a double chain. That seems to be a common problem. It would be just as easy to make one without blades that still has enough offset to clear the chain, and tensioner if you use one. Lots of opinions here, but wanted to share an idea. I like engineering, design and problem solving. The original one was put on there for a reason. Just like the drip tab and the bolt with the hole in it. I just didn't want to eliminate it, so I modified it to hopefully make it better.

Guess if you want to use one, this one will not get gouged out by a double chain. That seems to be a common problem. It would be just as easy to make one without blades that still has enough offset to clear the chain, and tensioner if you use one. Lots of opinions here, but wanted to share an idea. I like engineering, design and problem solving. The original one was put on there for a reason. Just like the drip tab and the bolt with the hole in it. I just didn't want to eliminate it, so I modified it to hopefully make it better.

Your engineering was awesome. Your design is incredible. The part looks like it should have been designed. But there is another thing to consider.

Just like the useless drip tab, and the goofy bolt with the hole in it that did nothing, Chrysler was looking for ways to reduce warranty at the least cost possible. That meant if they could stamp out a “slinger” for 2 cents and throw it on there and send it and it MAY reduce warranty that keeps the bean counting idiots who know nothing about anything except money (and it’s questionable what they know about that) then it was used.

Bow tie wearing bean counters have done more to destroy automobile manufacturing that almost rivals government interference.

Screw that bolt with a hole in it into any hole in the block and look at it. Real close. In 3 holes it can do nothing. In one hole when the lifter valley floods with oil it might dribble some oil through it. But that would depend on many thing, one being the pressure differential in the timing cover compared to the lifter valley. It just doesn’t do anything.

Same with the drip tab. Anything it does would be by happenstance.

I have a buddy who bought a very expensive gear drive for his SBC. I think today it’s over a grand for one just like it. Anyway, he bolted it on and off we went. It went out and in a few street miles and maybe 20 passes at the track and blued all the gears and took out the idler gear bearing.

He called the manufacturer and they said drill a hole in the gallery plug to get oil into the cover. They actually replaced the gears and bearing for free, but said they wouldn’t do it again if he didn’t get oil to it.

That gear drive is still being used by his kid today. I can’t even think how many street miles and passes it has on it, but it’s a lot.

The moral of the story is that the factory does things just because it makes them or the bean counters feel better. A logical look at some of the stuff shows the folly of most of it.

I say we try to fund him it looks perfect and a great addition to our small blocks my 340 wants one I'll buy one if he makes them!

It can't be any worse then the one we use now ,being an old timer it 's princible looks ok in my book. I want one thing know ifhe gets rich I hope he remembers who was on the ground floor.

Chrysler didn't put the slinger there to oil the chain, oil slung off from it misses the chain entirely. For decades the front main seal was simply a rubber washer glued into the metal seal shell. The engineers knew the rubber washer stretched over the dampener nose would develop splits in less than five years and used the slinger to keep the seal as dry as possible. After the introduction of the radial sprung double lip seal the slinger was found to no longer be necessary. I haven't installed slingers since 1985, no seal leaks and no chain/sprocket problems. The chain and sprockets get all the oil they need from the front cam and front main bearings, and a bit of dribble from the lifter galley during stops. The sprockets themselves act as slingers to oil the chain. The dribbler tab and drilled bolt were deemed useful in taxi cabs and cop cars or when perpetually driving in stop and go rush hour traffic where lots of low rpm/low oil pressure idle time tended to "dry out" the chain. Most of our driving of these cars today doesn't fit that description, thank goodness!

I wonder what made the OP think he had a problem with his factory oil slinger? I mean I havent heard of many problems with timing chains. They basically last forever

Some timing chains dig into the slinger and puts a bunch of trash in the oil.
How can it be "some"? All the factory chains are the same. If it is happening from aftermarket chains then just throw the slinger in the trashcan- Its just there to keep oil from leaking out of the old style front seal. New seals make it obsolete.

Basically, if it ain't broke, fix it. For those that run an aftermarket timing chain and wish to use the slinger, this may be a fix.

For those in the "Its not needed" camp, leave it out.

It adds maybe a couple ounces to the reciprocal mass. Less than using that super long Crank bolt of the earlier A engines that carried over to the LA until the mid 70's when they started using the short bolt.

Years ago, 1995, I put my slinger in a dimple die and re-formed it slightly and it is in my LRT's 360 that has 200,000 miles on the rebuild with no oil loss at the front main seal. Rear seal leaks like the Exxon Valdes.

I just received emergency FDA approval to produce them! I love this forum. Always entertaining and quite informative. Stay tuned for full approval if you are interested.

-
Back