new motor stalls at low RPM

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
I just put my sons motor back into his Dart and fired it up, unfortunatly it won't stay running if it gets below 1500 RPM it just stalls, motor seems strong at high rpm revs up nicely, any thoughts

just one note
This is the first time I've tried starting this car since we purchased and the wiring isn't the best looking stuff

what all did you do to the motor? it may be a vacuum leak? tell us more.

Motor is stock and has 30k miles and was running in the other vehical, it has performer intake used, and edelbrock carb. and new stock Distributer, all vacum ports have been plugged including the one that was for the PVC line
the only thing I did was install new cam/lifters and put it back together.
I was also thinking it was vacum leak but never had one just quit like this
at low RPM it's almost like it looses spark, I'm going to try a diffrent carb. this weekend

Motor is stock and has 30k miles and was running in the other vehical, it has performer intake used, and edelbrock carb. and new stock Distributer, all vacum ports have been plugged including the one that was for the PVC line
the only thing I did was install new cam/lifters and put it back together.
I was also thinking it was vacum leak but never had one just quit like this
at low RPM it's almost like it looses spark, I'm going to try a diffrent carb. this weekend

Bill,

I'm going through the same thing with my 74 Dart Swinger hop up 318 rebuild . If you don't have a vacuum leak its the Edelbrock carb. Mine did the same thing you describe after I installed a larger cam (284*/.484" hyd.). Low vacuum makes the Edelbrock carb think it's under power and raises the metering rods, floods out the motor. I bought the Edelbrock #1484 spring kit and ended up installing the blue springs (two steps lower vacuum) and it runs like a scalded dog after some fine tuning. If you need a copy of the Edelbrock carb manual, send me your email and I'll send it to you.

Good Luck!

Keith

-
Back